The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Monday, June 04, 2007

New Releases 1972.04.03

Phonolog Reports – New Releases

Week of April 3, 1972

Caught my eye:

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL – Mardi Gras (Fantasy 9404)

FLASH (Capitol ST-11040) (LP) (CD)

LOU REED – Lou Reed (RCA LSP-4701)

SUTHERLAND BROTHERS BAND (Island / Capitol SW-9315) (LP)

DON IMUS – 1,200 Hamburgers To Go (RCA LSP-4699) (LP)

End of the line for the CCR franchise. Ex-Yes man Peter Banks comes back with a Flash – great album, and I love the “Small Beginnings” single. Ex-V.U. front-man Lou Reed gets a deal with RCA. Wow, the Sutherland Brothers Band – before Quiver! Must’ve heard it on the radio – but I definitely ended up with all the Don Imus albums.

Also of interest:

ESCALATOR OVER THE HILL (JCOA EOTH) triple LP

VARIOUS ARTISTS – Hot Wax Greatest Hits (Hot Wax 710) (CD)

RASPBERRIES (Capitol ST-11036)

Z.Z. TOP – Rio Grande Mud (London XPS-612)

Avant-jazz makes the Phonolog new release sheet, with Don Cherry, Carla Bley etc. R&B hits from Hot Wax. Power pop from The Raspberries’ debut. Music from Texas with Z.Z. Top.

Notable singles:

DON GIBSON / SUE THOMPSON – Did You Ever Think b/w Love’s Garden (Hickory 1629)

T. REX – Telegram Sam b/w Cadillac (Reprise 12078)

WAYNE NEWTON – Daddy Don’t You walk So Fast (Chelsea 78-0100)

LINDISFARNE – Fog On The Tyne b/w Meet Me On The Corner (Elektra 45778)

FLEETWOOD MAC – Green Manalishi b/w Oh Well (Reprise 1079)

PAUL SIMON – Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard (Columbia 4-45585)

Near the end of the line with the original numbering series for Hickory Records. Big hit for T. Rex. Wayne Newton’s last visit to the chart? Yet another single for Newcastle’s Lindisfarne – a good one! There must’ve been a demand for this Fleetwood Mac single, as these songs are a few years old, even in 1972! Nice A-side from Paul Simon – after the break-up of Simon & Garfunkel, it seemed like Paul Simon could do no wrong, for a while there.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: CCR - I was more broken up about the split of CCR than that of the Beatles 2 years earlier, though "Sweet Hitch-Hiker" was a mediocre swan song [I bought it any way].

Re: Raspberries - Pretty kewel stuff and GREAT AM radio singles! Too bad Eric Carmen turned into a wimp later.

Re: Wayne Neweton - I have horrifying memories of him guest-starring on the excrable "Lucy Show!" But I truly worship the Friedman Brothers razor-sharp take that is "The Wayne Newton Story" in their unmissable "Any Similarity To Persons Living Or Dead" tome. I was greatly chagrined by the presence of this song in the charts as a child of 9. Truthfully, I was also mortified by SDJR's similar "Candyman" last-shot-at-the-charts hit from the same fateful year. At least we know Sammy was stupefied by the phenomenon as well. What did Wayne have to say about his chart-topper?

Re: Paul Simon - Well, he really did wrong with "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover!" Damn, but I despised that song as a child!! Heck, I might just use the acronym D.B.I.D.T.S.A.A.C. to express those sentiments every time I comment on this blog! Looking back, it certainly seems that I hated more music than I loved - it's a wonder I ever became as hooked as I am on the stuff with all of the aural sewage polluting my ears on top 40 growing up! But my favorite Paul Simon moment is his hilarious turn as "Billy Paul" on SNL's almost identical word for word parody of "Billy Jack." That was true genius!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home