The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

New Releases 1972.01.31


Phonolog Reports – New Releases

Week of January 31, 1972

Caught my eye:

INCREDIBLE STRING BAND – Liquid Acrobat As Regards The Air (Elektra EKS-74112) (LP) (CD)

FIRESIGN THEATRE – Dear Friends (Columbia KG-31099) double LP (LP) (CD)

THE DOORS – Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine (Elektra 8E-6001) double LP (LP)

I heard the I.S.B. at a friends house – but I knew I wanted to hear them by their record covers and song titles. My brother & my friend Paul had already hipped me to The Firesign Theatre – so I was waiting for this one! And The Doors roll on – with a nice double Best of – which included some up-to-that-time non-LP Morrison songs.

Also of interest:

JOHN KONGOS – Kongos (Elektra EKS-75019) (CD)

NEIL YOUNG – Harvest (Reprise MS 2032) (LP) (CD)

DAVID BROMBERG (Columbia C-31104) (LP)

South African John Kongos gets a U.S. release! Neil Young delivers his 4th solo album and I saw David Bromberg on TV – playing with George Harrison, no less!

Notable singles:

THE SINGING DOGS – Hot Dog Boogie b/w Hot Dog Rock & Roll (RCA 48-1021) re-issue

JAMES BROWN – Talking Loud and Saying Nothing (Parts 1 & 2) (Polydor 14109)

SLY & THE FAMILY STONE – Running Away b/w Brave & Strong (Epic 5-10829)

YES – Roundabout (Atlantic 2854)

PAUL SIMON – Mother & Child Reunion b/w Paranoia Blues (Columbia 4-45547)

I suppose this Singing Dogs 45 got re-issued because of the ‘success’ of the re-issue of “Jingle Bells”? As far as I know, there are the only four Singing Dogs songs ever made! Top drawer soul from Mr. J.B. and my favorite Sly single. Yes get a U.S. single (but was it their first U.S. single? I think not!). Paul beats Artie back to the chart, with a snappy hit single.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Svenn said...

I just loved that String Band album when I was a sad young man! Down in the basement to fetch it! I'm not sure you're supposed to brag about these things :-)

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home