The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Thursday, May 24, 2007

New Releases 1972.02.07

Phonolog Reports – New Releases

Week of February 7, 1972

Caught my eye:

KEITH EMERSON & THE NICE (Mercury SRM2-6500)

JAMMING WITH EDWARD” (Rolling Stones COC 39100) (LP)

THE FREE DESIGN – One To One (Project 3 5061)

Mercury Records now try to cash-in on the Emerson, Lake & Palmer wave. For the 2nd release on the Rolling Stones label, we get a half-baked LP of jam sessions that aren’t quite up to the Stones usual standards – at least it’s a mid-line. EZ hits from Project 3’s Free Design.

Also of interest:

KING CURTIS – Everybody’s Talkin’ (Atco SD 33-385)

ISAAC HAYES – In The Beginning (Atlantic SD 1599)

MANFRED MANN’S EARTH BAND (Polydor 24-5215)

TONY MOTTOLA – Superstar Guitar (Project 3 5062) (LP)

Rockin’ R&B from King Curtis. Atlantic trys to cash-in on the current success of Isaac Hayes (who is now signed to Enterprise). Manfred Mann transmogrifies yet again. EZ hits from Project 3’s guitar maestro.

Notable singles:

MOUTH & MacNEAL – How Do You Do (Philips 40715)

GORDON HASKELL – Sitting By The Fire b/w No Meaning (Atco 6869)

IAN MATTHEWS – Da Doo Ron Ron b/w House of Un-American activity Blues (Vertigo 103)

SANTANA – No One To Depend On b/w Taboo (Columbia 4-45552)

Annoying AM hit from Dutch act Mouth & MacNeal; single from “It Is & It Isn’t” by former King Crimson bassist / vocalist Gordon Haskell (both songs are on the album); a single from the 2nd U.S. Vertigo LP by Ian Matthews (“Tigers Will Survive”); Santana cover a jazz song and get a decent radio hit with it.


Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: KEITH EMERSON & THE NICE (Mercury SRM2-6500)

Do you know that this sucker stayed in print through at least 1980, when I bought a fresh copy just to get "Five Bridges?" I already had "Elegy." In fact, I bought this record in a South Carolina [Charleston] mall [Record Bar] where I also finally got my first Ultravox record, which I had been looking for to no avail in Orlando from Sept to Dec. of 1980. But, yes, the record WAS "Vienna." And let me tell you Ron, if that was the first Ultravox you ever heard you wouldn't look askance at it!!! Far effin from it!


Re: MOUTH & MacNEAL – How Do You Do (Philips 40715)

Wow! So THAT was the artist who did that tune! I used to love this song as a kid - possibly my first exposure to what I'd call Europop. I.E. sing-songy, very much non-blues based pop designed to compete in the Eurovision song contest. I have not heard this in 35 years but would I still think well of it now?

8:16 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

Yes, what will you think of it - shall I send a dub?

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Mouth & MacNeal

It is said that discretion is the better part of valor. Therefore, I'll pass!

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home