The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Monday, May 21, 2007

The Last 10 Records in My Collection


The Last 10 Records in My Collection

LP ZODIAC MINDWARP / LOVE REACTION TATTOOED BEAT MESSIAH VERTIGO US 832729.1 1988 15 TRKS

CD ZOLAR X TIMELESS ALT TENTACLES VIRUS 319CD 2004 20 TRK Collection (70's/80's recordings)

CD ZOMBIES, THE KNIGHT RIDING KNIGHT UK KNCD 11001 1990 14 TRK Collection (60's recordings)

LP ZOMBIES, THE ODESSEY AND ORACLE DATE US TES 4013 1968? 12 TRKS 2nd cover

LP ZOMBIES, THE ROCK ROOTS DECCA AUS VMP 1018 1975? 16 TRK Collection (60's recordings)

7" ZOMBIES, THE TIME OF THE SEASON / FRIENDS OF MINE EPIC/SONY JPN 06.5P-43 1969? 2 TRKS with pic sleeve re-issue

LP ZOO COWBOYS AND ENGINES XSF NZ SBP 237832 1982 10 TRKS

7" ZOO KEEP IT UP / SHAH YAFIR CBS AUS BA 222966 1982 2 TRKS with pic sleeve

LP ZUIDERWIJK, CESAR / JASPER VANT HOF LABYRINTH

21 NL 210.015 1984 8 TRKS Golden Earring

LP ZYGOAT ZYGOAT POLYDOR UK 2383 270 1974 12 TRKS

These are the last 10 titles in my music collection. I saw the Adrian Edmundson-directed video clip for “Prime Mover” and decided to give Zodiac Mindwarp a try. When I was a teenager, I saw Zolar X walking around the parking lot of Tower Records on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood. Years later, Don Bolles played me their album, then this CD happened. Always liked The Zombies, but I never thought there would be so many fanatics! The CD is a collection, with “Tell Her No” and “She’s Not There”; the “Odessey” LP is the 2nd cover for the US edition – which I found sealed, many moons ago. Zoo used to be known as Pop Mechanix – NZ (Christchurch) musicians. This LP & single were recorded in Australia, and didn’t feature their singer Andrew Snoid ( = Andrew MacLennan ) – good band, but – sadly, Pop Mechanix never released their Mike Chunn-produced 1980 album. Cesar Zuiderwijk is the drummer of Golden Earring, and Jasper Vant Hof is a famous Dutch keyboard player – need to give this LP some more time. And, finally…Zygoat is Burt Alcantara, a guy who worked for Electrophon Studios, in England. As far as I know, the sole Zygoat LP is not out on CD. It’s 100% electronic, and fairly snappy.

What is the last record in your collection?

- Ron


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: last record in my collection

LP ZODIAC MINDWARP / LOVE REACTION TATTOOED BEAT MESSIAH VERTIGO US 832729.1 1988

It's a small world, eh Ron?

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My last acquisition was a 2003 "release". I put "release" in quotes, as this was the copyright year on a CD-R I ordered via mail from GABRIELE MORGAN (the erstwhile vocalist/clarinetist/songwriter with DOLL CONGRESS [which also featured former romantic/songwriting partner MICHAEL PENN] and VALENTINE'S REVENGE). Bearing the title "Secret Child", it's growing on me more and more with each listen. Favorite track (so far): "This is His Heart". Go to "http://www.gabrielemorgan.com/" for more info/sound samples -- should you feel the slightest bit inclined. ;)

9:26 PM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

I meant what records is filed last in yr collection, Rick-san. Mine is "Zygoat".

7:20 AM  
Blogger chas_m said...

mYello.

I am ashamed to admit I own no Zombies albums, as I do like them very much. Never got into Zodiac Mindwarp as you and Jim did, but perhaps it's time for a reassessment.

The "Zygoat" name and cover made me smile.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

Chas - no shame in not owning Zombies records!

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.K., I got it now. The last record in my collection (full album, not counting ZZ TOP 12" singles), is by ANDY ZWERLING, whose 1971 Kama Sutra records release "Spiders In The Night" provided yet another addition to my ongoing obsession with obscure singer-songwriter types. Produced by LENNY KAYE and RICHARD ROBINSON (who also provide guitar duties), the erstwhile ROLLING STONE record reviewer plies his brand of psych-folk to good effect. Like JOHN MENDELSSOHN after him (another ROLLING STONE reviewer turned recording artist), ANDY failed to generate much commercial impact, despite having "heavy friends". Nowadays, ANDY is an entertainment lawyer. Must've signed a pretty poor contract once upon a time? ;)

8:44 AM  
Blogger King fahtah said...

hello. I just posted the Zoo single here http://terroraustraliss.blogspot.com/2009/10/zoo-keep-it-up-7.html

Interesting band they have a comp out called Zoo - Lost In Australia 1981-83

worth a listen i gather.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home