The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Friday, April 13, 2007

1971.12.13


Phonolog Reports – New Releases

Week of December 13, 1971

Caught my eye:

BADFINGER – Straight Up (Apple SW-3387) (CD)
MOUNTAIN
– Flowers Of Evil (Windfall 5501) (LP) (CD)
GORDON HASKELL
– It Is & It Isn’t (Atco SD 33-378) (LP) (CD)

Great Badfinger LP – really flying their ‘Beatles flag’. I heard Mountain on the FM radio (and I think I saw them on the TV over the summer of ’71), and I knew about their connection to Cream (via the late Mr. Felix Pappalardi). I was all into King Crimson, but I doubt I knew about this wonderful Gordon Haskell LP until well after it was released – when I went looking for it in the hippie record stores of the day, there it was – in the 99 cent bin (I also could find a single from it – “Sitting By The Fire”).

Also of interest:

ISAAC HAYES – Black Moses (Enterprise 2-5003) double LP
THE KINKS
– Muswell Hillbillies (RCA LSP-4644)
KOOL & THE GANG
– Live At PJ’s (De-Lite 2010)

Isaac Hayes! The king of R&B double LP’s! (It was him or James Brown) Never quite sure what to make of groups that leave Warner/Reprise (which The Kinks did); dang, only 1971 and Kool & The Gang already get a live album!

Notable singles:

DAVID BOWIE – Changes b/w Andy Warhol (RCA 74-0605)
HARRY NILSSON
– Without You b/w Gotta Get Up (RCA 74-0604)
SLADE
– Coz I Love You (Cotillion 44139)

Nope, I didn’t hear this Bowie single at this time – but who did?; always did like the B-side of this Nilsson single; Took me years to hear this Slade single – I just love it, but I certainly never heard them at the time. No way. Funny to think that Slade (in the US) went from Fontana to Cotillion to Polydor to Warner Brothers.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Gordon Haskell

I love his vocals on "Lizard." How's the solo album sound? The gnome doesn't exactly inspire

Re: Slade

Nice to see there was some cosmic justice when Slade managed to pull a US top 10 with the fun "Run Runaway" in the aftermath of the Quiet Riot hit cover. Slade are great "stupid/smart" rock. Believe it or not, they were the ultimate inspiration, musically, anyway, for KISS, the famous "stupid/stupid" band. They only got within spitting distance of their goal on "Rock & Roll All Night," methinks. As an ashamed owner of "Kiss Alive" I think this comment by the gormer blogmaster of "Post-Punk Junk" hits the nail on the head regarding their vocalist Paul Stanley and his penchant for long, stagey intros to every song Kiss ever performed live. To wit, "Stanley, in-between songs on-stage, sounds less like the frontman for an internationally known rock megaband than a shrill Christopher Street queen stuck outside a club at three in the morning, frantically searching on the wet pavement for the last few poppers that accidentally flew out of his hand onto the ground." Poetry, that!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

The Gordon Haskell album is not in the style of "Lizard" - but is still quite good.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home