The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Thursday, April 12, 2007

1971.11.22


Phonolog Reports – New Releases

Week of November 22, 1971

Caught my eye:

FAMILY – Fearless (U.A. UAS-5562) (LP)
ELTON JOHN
– Madman Across The Water (Uni 93120) (LP)

Two decent LP’s for this week – the 99 cent bin provided the former, and it took me a few years to get around to the E.J. – I like it better now than I did then! This Family LP has a “gimmix” die-cut cover, which shredded easily, in the “used” bin.

Also of interest:

JAMES BROWN – Revolution Of The Mind (Polydor 25-3003) double LP
BILLY JOEL
Cold Spring Harbor (Paramount 2700)
CARLY SIMON
– Anticipation (Elektra EKS-75016)
SANTANA
– Abraxis (Columbia CQ-30130) QUAD issue

Having left King, James B. now records for Polydor; the debut of Mr. B. Joel; Elektra releases a Carly Simon LP for $1 more than usual (75000 series, as opposed to 74000 series); Quad (4-Channel SQ) LP for Santana (it was also likely a Quad 8-track tape).

Notable singles:

BADFINGER – Day After Day b/w Money (Apple 1841)
THE CHAKACHAS
– Jungle Fever (Polydor 15030)
JOE COCKER
– Cry Me A River b/w The Letter (A&M 8546)
FREE
– All Right Now b/w The Stealer (A&M 8550)
RARE EARTH
– Hey Big Brother (Rare Earth 5038)
JOHN ENTWISTLE
– My Size b/w I Believe In Everything (Decca 32986)
ROD STEWART
– (I Know) I’m Losing You b/w Mandolin Wind (Mercury 73244)
TRAFFIC
– Rock & Roll Stew (Parts 1 & 2) (Island/Capitol 1201)

Great week for singles! Fine Badfinger A-side; Belgian weirdness from The Chakachas; fine Joe Cocker A-side (live, yes?); Big hit for Free; I remember this Rare Earth single, but I don’t think I have it on anything; Yes, I found a copy of this John Entwistle single – I just loved the “Smash Your Head” LP!; a single from “Every Picture Tells A Story” by Rod Stewart (separate from The Faces); the single from “The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys” – took a few years for it to ever find it’s way to a CD – when you put the 2 parts of “Rock & Roll Stew: together, it is a bit longer than the LP version (and, yes, I have a copy – numbering also looks like it’s the U.S. debut for Island Records singles). FYI – A&M also released some “Back-to-back Hits” re-issue 45’s this week, but I’m not going to list ‘em).

note: illustration from the back cover of Family's "Fearless" LP cover - "Daft, I Call It!"

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Scottish Toodler said...

Just been reading down the page. Five Man Electric Band, Lonnie Mack, and was that Howling Wolf a re-issue? Maybe not? Anyhow, I am glad to see you going back in time. I was five years old, but some of these records (Fairport Convention) my mom would listen to. And then I would discover later on too. You should come visit here and go to all the great vinyl stores here. (And come see me!!)

11:18 PM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

I'd love to, Toodler - but my next trip is to Tokyo (in June). I have been doing 1971 week-by-week, and I may start in on 1972 real soon. Always love suggestions as to what to write about!

7:22 AM  
Blogger chas_m said...

lth"Madman Across the Water" was one of John's earlier (4th, to be exact) and better efforts -- he's such an interesting case, that one.

I mean, really the whole of his early output is remarkably inspired -- TONS of hummables and lyrical delights on those first NINE albums!

Then it all went a bit pear-shaped ... as did he! :)

Still, for prodigious output and more singles than most solo artists get in a PAIR of lifetimes, EJ is still one of rock's true undiscovered geniuses. Man how I hate what he's become.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home