The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

1971.11.15

Phonolog Reports – New Releases
Week of November 15, 1971


Caught my eye:

CHICAGO – Live At Carnegie Hall (Columbia C4X-30865) 4 LP boxed set (LP)
HARRY NILSSON – Nilsson Schmilsson (RCA LSP-4515) (LP)
SEALS & CROFTS – Year Of Sunday (Warner 2568)
SLY & THE FAMILY STONE – There’s A Riot Goin’ On (Epic KE-30986)
TRAFFIC – The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys (Island/Capitol SW-9306) (LP) (CD)

Gearing up for Xmas ’71! Big, bad boxed set for Chicago; decent Harry Nilsson album; I heard the Seals & Crofts in the hippie record store, and liked “When I Meet Them”; always intrigued by Sly & The Family Stone (I had loved “Stand!”); a die-cut cover for the Island / Capitol debut LP for Traffic – dang, I loved this album!!!

Also of interest:

DAVID AXELROD – Messiah (RCA LSP-4636)
DAVID BOWIE – Hunky Dory (RCA LSP-4623) (LP) (CD)
FIVE MAN ELECTRICAL BAND – Coming Of Age (Lionel 1101)
ANDRE KOSTELANETZ – Plays Chicago (Columbia C-31002) (LP)

Never heard any of these (at the time), except for the Andrew Kostelantez. The Bowie is, of course, a classic. Does the F.M.E.B. have a “Greatest Hits” LP I could try? I really only know Axelrod from his Capitol albums and the Mo’ Wax CD from late last century.

Notable singles:

PORTER WAGONER – Rubber Room b/w Late Love Of Mine (RCA 74-0581)
SEALS & CROFTS – When I Meet Them b/w Irish Linen (Warner 7536)
JOHN SEBASTIAN – We’ll See b/w Well Well Well (Reprise 1050)
JETHRO TULL – Locomotive Breath b/w Up To Me (Reprise 1054)
THE DOORS – Tightrope Ride (Elektra 45757)
THREE DOG NIGHT – Old Fashioned Love Song b/w Jam (Dunhill 4294)
DANDO SHAFT – Coming Home To Me b/w Kalyope Driver (Neon 72-0100)

Nice novelty C&W from Porter W.; that good Seals & Crofts A-side; a John Sebastian single I never heard at the time; an “Aqualung” single for Jethro Tull; Non-‘Jim’ Doors 45, which really isn’t too bad, c’mon!; Big hit for T.D.N.; the U.S. debut 45 on the Neon label! (NO, never seen it, and I don’t even remember what they sounded like!).


Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger chas_m said...

Weren't FMEB best known for their one and only hit, "Signs" circa 1971?

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?


From Ottowa, as I recall.

The only reason I know this is because I happened across a Tesla record called "Five Man Acoustical Jam" and it reminded me of the funny name of FMEB.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

Too Right, Chas! And their other minor hit was called "Absolutely Right". Stands to reason they were Canadian.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home