The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Thursday, April 16, 2009

1969 (Revisited)


4-16-09 1969 (Revisited)


1969 is already 40 years ago. Moon landing! Woodstock! I was still young enough to listen to the AM radio (as well as the beginning of free form FM radio). I was still in elementary school. None of my obsessions with rock music had yet fully developed. I knew I liked British records, but I probably only had a few of them in 1969 (ones my father bought for me). I remember (and in some cases, can’t forget) every song on this 1969 list:


The Foundations – “Build Me Up Buttercup” (I have a “Best Of” CD, and I prefer “Back On My Feet Again” or “Baby Now That I Found You”.)

Neil Diamond – “Sweet Caroline” (My mother liked / likes this song, so no need to own it or hear it any more than necessary.)

Steam – “Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye” (Believe it or not, I actually bought a 45 of this at the Singer Sewing Machine store for 59 cents!)

Spiral Staircase – “More Today Than Yesterday” (I hear this song way too much, on oldies radio in 2009 – way too much.)

Dusty Springfield – “Son of a Preacher Man” (I have a “Best Of” CD with many tracks.)

Frank Sinatra – “My Way” (I have a Reprise label “Best Of” CD with many tracks.)

Creedence Clearwater Revival – “Proud Mary” & “Bad Moon Rising” (Yes, I was a fan, but…boy did these ever get over-played!)

The Beatles – “Something” & “Come Together” (2 x “Abbey Road” singles; I remember riding my bike to the straight record store to get this LP on the day it came out.)

The Archies – “Sugar Sugar” (No comment. Really.)

Tammy Wynette – “Stand By Your Man” (I probably like this better now than I did back then.)

The Doors – “Touch Me” (Decent Doors 45, great sax solo.)

The Rolling Stones – “Honky Tonk Women” (I hear this song way too much, on oldies radio in 2009 – way too much.)

B.J. Thomas – “Hooked On A Feeling” (Not my favorite song, but this is preferable to the – ugh – Blue Swede version.)

The Temptations – “I Can’t Get Next To You” (a fine R&B hit for ’69.)

The Friends of Distinction – “Grazin’ In The Grass” (I prefer the Hugh Masakela version, but this is still a good R&B hit for ’69.)

Classics IV featuring Dennis Yost – “Traces” (I have their “Best Of” CD, but not necessarily for this song – I am more of a fan of “Spooky” or “Stormy”.)

The Ventures – “Hawaii 5-0” (I have a “Best Of” CD with many tracks.)


I was riding my bike everywhere; watching a lot of television; trying to have long hair; spending a lot of time listening to LP’s; in elementary school; If I was listening to this mainstream stuff, the ‘progressive rock’ bug had yet to bite. In an other-worldly universe, the debut King Crimson LP came out, “In The Court of the Crimson King”.


FM radio was playing Crosby, Stills & Nash, Steppenwolf, and Three Dog Night. I was also playing Frank Zappa records – I wanted to “listen and believe”.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Jim Donato said...

Lots of tunes here from the pre-dawn of my AM radio "discovery." Before about 1970, I only heard music when in dad's car (a station wagon, of course). We didn't have a stereo at home. I remember hearing "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" a LOT. I was given a transistor radio around 1970. I was in 2nd grade. KHJ!

"Build Me Up Buttercup" - I have a mental block on the group's name that did this. Not a bad prefab pop tune.

Neil Diamond - I'm okay with everything up to "Song Sung Blue" in varying degrees.

Steam - good hit!

"More Today Than Yesterday" - I always thought this was by Chicago! How I hated Chicago.

Dusty - I too have a great Philips best of. I should have more of her vintage material.

"My Way" - Not one of my fave rave FS tunes, to say the least. But without it we wouldn't have Sid Vicious' cover!

Creedence - Overplayed? Sez' you. I always loved CCR. Still do.

Beatles - NOW we're talkin' overplayed!!!! I would pay money to never hear the Beatles for as long as I breathe, again."Sugar, Sugar" - What a great song! Ron Dante is a genius!"Stand By Your Man" - Not keen on Tammy. Or George.

"Touch Me" - What the heck do these lyrics mean. I still haven't parsed that "Promise that you made" stuff.

"Honky Tonk Women" - I must listen to a different oldies station. I hear way too little Stones while at the gym, whereas EVERY 4TH SONG is by the g**damn Beatles.

"Hooked On A Feeling" - Gimme Blue Swede over B.J. Thomas any day! BJT is bland and lifeless. You NOTICE when the BS version comes on the radio. It's so grotesquely ugly, it attains a kind of beauty! I've never heard the Jonathan King version their arrangement supposedly lifts chant-for-chant.

"I Can't Get Next To You" - Fantastic soul! Temps at their best!

"Grazin' In The Grass" - I've never heard this.

"Traces" - I'm right with you there with "Stormy" and especially "Spooky!" This one? naaaaaaaah.

"Hawaii 5-0" - Great Ventures number. I have the Rhino CD3 of this!

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home