The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sensational Alex Harvey Band


4-14-09 The Sensational Alex Harvey Band


I am a late-comer to the S.A.H.B., as they are also known.


7" AMOS MOSES / SATCHEL AND THE SCALP HUNTER MOUNTAIN UK TOP 19

1976 2 TRKS no pic sleeve, promo

7" BOSTON TEA PARTY / SULTAN'S CHOICE MOUNTAIN UK TOP 12

1976 2 TRKS no pic sleeve, promo

LP FOUR PLAY (without Alex) MOUNTAIN UK TOPC 5006

1977 8 TRKS

CDx2 FRAMED / NEXT… MERCURY UK 586696.2

1973 16 TRKS ('02 issue)

LP IMPOSSIBLE DREAM, THE VERTIGO US VEL-2000

1974 10 TRKS

CDx2 IMPOSSIBLE DREAM, THE / TOMORROW BELONGS TO ME MERCURY UK 586697.2

1974/5 20 TRKS ('02 issue)

LP LIVE ATLANTIC US SD 18148

1975 7 TRKS Live

CDx2 LIVE / PENTHOUSE TAPES, THE MERCURY UK 586698.2

1975/8 17 TRKS ('02 issue)

LP NEXT… VERTIGO DE 6360 103

1974? 7 TRKS

LP ROCK DRILL MOUNTAIN UK TOPS 114

1978 9 TRKS Original UK issue

LP S.A.H.B. STORIES MOUNTAIN UK TOPS 112

1976 8 TRKS Original UK issue

CDx2 S.A.H.B. STORIES / ROCK DRILL MERCURY UK 586699.2

1976/8 17 TRKS ('02 issue)

7" SERGEANT FURY / TOMAHAWK KID VERTIGO US VE-200

1974 2 TRKS no pic sleeve, promo

7" SWAMPSNAKE / GANG BANG VERTIGO US VE-113

1973 2 TRKS no pic sleeve, promo

LP TOMORROW BELONGS TO ME VERTIGO US VEL-2004

1975 10 TRKS


I think that I first heard of the S.A.H.B. when my brother lived in Germany in the early 70’s – he wrote and told me that he had seen them, and that it was a really good show. For certain, the first record I ever heard by the S.A.H.B. was the “S.A.H.B. Stories” LP, particularly Side 2 – by that time, I was already working in my first hippie record store job.


30+ years hence, I am sorry I was too young to have seen them when they played L.A. – friends of mine saw them, and have described it as “quite a show”. Of course, I was also a fan of the Tear Gas LP, and they are the band that essentially became the S.A.H.B. (with the addition of Alex Harvey).


Alas, too young. If I was only a few years older, I would’ve seen the S.A.H.B. and Streetwalkers and…and…and…can’t really sit around all day thinking about which bands I missed when they all came to L.A. to play live.


That said, I got to see Magazine, Ultravox (with John Foxx), Athletico Spizz 80, Rachel Sweet, The Stranglers, XTC, John Otway, John Cale et al. I must be happy about ‘my time’, the stuff I did get to see. But I do still lament that I was too young for the S.A.H.B.! Anyway, I was busy listening to German music when they were happening.


Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jim Donato said...

I'm a real latecomer to the S.A.H.B. My wife saw a CD of "Next" about a decade ago, and while the name registered I had not ever heard any. Of course, the Akron/Cle area she grew up in had all sorts of good UK music popular locally in the 70s! In fact, our pal Wikipedia has this to say: In 2008 a new Alex Harvey tribute, VAMBO ROOLS, was formed in the Cleveland, Ohio region of the United States. Only in Cleveland!

I did have the 1992 Recoil CD-5 cover of "Faith Healer" which stands up as a particularly "faithful" cover and not a drastic re-imagining. She picked up the CD and it's pretty good stuff. While I can't listen to "Gang Bang" without cringing, the rest of it is quite enjoyable. Sorta glammy but pretty loose and freeform. Every cover of Jacques Brel's "Next" that I've heard is good! Gotta love anyone who sings in a thick Scottish accent! So hail Alex Harvey, Gary Clark, The Reid Brothers (Proclaimers)! Anyone else? And since I like the 2nd LP, where should I go next on S.A.H.B.?

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Jim Donato said...

7" AMOS MOSES / SATCHEL AND THE SCALP HUNTER MOUNTAIN UK TOP 19 1976 2 TRKS no pic sleeve, promo

This has gotta be a cover of the funky Jerry Reed number, right? I'd like to hear that!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

Jim-san,

I would go for "S.A.H.B. Stories" next. Especially Side 2. Yes, they covered a Jerry Reed song.

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Literature Review Example said...

I am so happy to see this blog,and I hope, you share more interesting Articale,great work

9:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

well your work is pretty good and i really like your post . .every thing in the post is awesome . . . .gr8 job . . .keep sharing :)
literature review example

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home