The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Monday, April 13, 2009

Tenpole Tudor


4-13-09 Tenpole Tudor


7" 3 BELLS IN A ROW STIFF UK BUY 98

1980 3 TRKS with pic sleeve

LP EDDIE, OLD BOB, DICK & GARY STIFF UK SEEZ 31

1981 13 TRKS

CDx2 EDDIE, OLD BOB, DICK & GARY / LET THE FOUR WINDS BLOW STIFF UK CDSEEZ 31

2007 40 TRKS '80 - '81 original issue

7" LET THE FOUR WINDS BLOW STIFF UK BUY 137

1981 2 TRKS with pic sleeve

7" SWORDS OF A THOUSAND MEN, THE STIFF UK BUY 109

1981 2 TRKS with pic sleeve

7" THROWING MY BABY OUT WITH THE BATH WATER STIFF UK BUY 129

1981 2 TRKS with pic sleeve


I certainly didn’t pay too much attention to Tenpole Tudor while they were active as a band. I was aware of them, but didn’t care. 1981 was all about New Zealand artists for me!


But it’s the new century, and I can have a good laugh at their amusing ‘Stiff label’ brand of “punk”. “3 Bells In A Row” is a fantastic single, and I now really like their ‘hits’ “The Swords Of A Thousand Men” and “Wunderbar”. And I have all of their Stiff 45’s except “Wunderbar”! I doubt I will easily find their Korova label single, however.


When I was “Mr. Music Video” in the 80’s, I mail-ordered a PAL VHS tape of “Stiff’s Greatest Hits”, which has some of their videos on it. I don’t remember how I started down their path, perhaps it was a music video on “Rage”?


I think Eddie Tudor-Pole went into acting, after this band. He’s in several films I’ve seen (uh, even “The Great Rock & Roll Swindle”). Didn’t he have something to do with the Comic Strip folks?


Well, when I was interested, I found myself in San Francisco’s Amoeba Music, armed with a credit slip – and I think the 2CD set of their almost entire recorded output was something like $10.98. We had a lot of fun driving around listening to their two albums and assorted singles on this 2CD set.


= =


Hope everybody had a pleasant Easter. I was at home and got a lot of stuff done, always a good feeling. Always accepting requests for topics to write about!


- Ron



Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always liked Tenpole Tudor but it was never filtering down in to Central Florida for some, unknown reason. So I only have their cuts on UK "Ronco" albums of the period! The UK Ronco albums of this era are intriguing because they still featured groove-crammed cuts edited further specifically for the compilation... only featuring GOOD music (Japan, Simple Minds, Madness etc.) instead of Paperlace or whatever top 40 US dregs I can recall from K-Tel wonderland.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home