The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Stuart Maconie’s Freak Zone

5-15-08 Stuart Maconie’s Freak Zone

I was recently made aware of a radio show in England called “Stuart Maconie’s Freak Zone” – I checked out some of their playlists; I think I would feel quite at home with this radio show playing in my home. The show is on BBC6, and comes out of Manchester. Here’s a sampler “Playlist”, taken from a few months of the show:

Amon Duul IIArchangel’s Thunderbird

White Noise – My Game of Loving

Stump – Charleton Heston

Flo & Eddie – Strange Girl

Michael Nyman – Mozart

Donovan – Bert’s Blues

Fairport Convention – If I Had A Ribbon Bow

Trader Horne – Jenny May

Supersister – Memories Are New

Gentle Giant – Way Of Life

Can – Moonshake

Hawkwind – Psychedelic Warlords Disappear In Smoke

Samurai – Face In The Mirror

Groundhogs – Strange Town

The Seeds – Pushin’ Too Hard

Family – The Weaver’s Answer

John Cale – I’m Not The Loving Kind

Frank ZappaMontana

Robert Wyatt – Alifib

Faust – No Harm

Slapp Happy – Blue Flower

Tangerine Dream – The Origin of Supernatural Probabilities

Black Sabbath – The Wizard

Comus – Diana

Wire – Mannequin

King Crimson – Starless and Bible Black

TortoisePlum

Gong – You Can’t Kill Me

Rare Bird – Iceberg

Giles Giles & Fripp – Erudite Eyes

Pete Brown & Piblokto – Things May Come and Things May Go, But The Art School Dance Goes On Forever

etc.

So, think you could stand to hear some of this music? I have all of the above tracks on vinyl or CD. Drop me a line, if you are interested to hear it and we’ll see if we can work something out. With this genre of music, I feel I should offer a cassette of it, or something!

p.s. do you like my new icon? it's a drawing of how I feel sometimes...

4 Comments:

Blogger chas_m said...

re: "Freak Zone"

Longtime listener here. I preferred it when Arthur Brown (of "The Crazy World of") was doing it, but it's still a great show.

For those who would like to listen to it, it's available on both the BBC6 (aka 6Music) website as well on their "Listen Again" service for a week after broadcast.

Sadly, the podcast version of Freak Zone is unavailable to non-UKers. :(

6:01 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

Chas,

If you enjoy artistes of this nature, let me know. I have tons of this sort of thing...

Looking fwd to seeing y'all in a few short months @ Ron-Kon!

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amon Duul II, Zappa, Gong, T dream, Supersister, Seeds, Flo & Eddie, Can, Faust & HAWKWIND! What more could you ask for? (oops, that was a Decayes song) By the way, if Ron-Kon is a convention of guys named Ron it could prove helpful. I've been trying to locate an old friend named Ron. Must have asked 3500 people in Long Beach but just got cryptic answers (like "Rosebud") When does Ron-Kon take place?

P.S. Great Music, Great Blog!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

Is this Robert "Hawkwind" Jacobs? I can be reached at the same old places...Ron-Kon is in Portland OR Aug 1-2-3. And I'll be selling at the next Claremont LP swap meet - September? I don't know the exact date. Contact me via the email address on my blogger profile.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home