The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Friday, May 09, 2008

Split Ends



5-9-08 Split Ends – “For You”

There are but two Split Ends 45’s, both from 1973.

FOR YOU / SPLIT ENDS VERTIGO NZ 6036 902

1973 2 TRKS no pic sleeve

SWEET TALKIN' SPOON SONG, THE / ONE TWO NINE EMI NZ HR 512

1973 2 TRKS no pic sleeve

I found both of these in New Zealand, about 25 years ago. After these two singles, they became known as “Split Enz”. Intense fans know that the versions of these songs found on “Beginning Of The Enz” sound slightly different from these original 45’s. “One Two Nine” roughly became “Matinee Idyll”, but the other three songs here pretty much got retired, resurfacing only on “Beginning Of The Enz” (together with some other very awesome early Enz material).

To be perfectly honest, together with Brian Ware, we are the northern hemisphere ‘definitive word’ on the initial contiguous Split Enz discography (’73 – ’84). I went to NZ to witness their supposed ‘final shows’ at the end of ’84. I personally watched Tim Finn struggle with suggesting “So Long For Now” to the band – who obviously couldn’t bring it to mind, having never rehearsed it. I wrote the discography found in Mike Chunn’s first book, at his request. Previously, an edited version of my discography ran over several issues of an NZ music magazine, “Shake!”.

There are rightfully a few more Split Enz singles we can be concerned with:

MAYBE / TITUS WHITE CLOUD NZ WC 003 1975 2 TRKS no pic sleeve

NO BOTHER TO ME / HOME SWEET HOME WHITE CLOUD NZ WC 002 1975 2 TRKS no pic sleeve

Issued on the small NZ label “White Cloud” (via Pye), these are the other two NZ Enz singles before they went to Australia and England. “Maybe” was their first Australian 45, but their 4th NZ 45. Both sides of “Maybe” and “Titus” are on the proper “Mental Notes” LP, but I love this single anyway.

On my first visits to New Zealand, I do not think I even knew about these 45’s – let’s face it – there was absolutely no Split Enz reference material available in 1980 or so. I believe I got a list of Split Enz 45’s from a record store in Christchurch – which served as my true introduction to the knowledge of the marvelous NZ Enz 45’s.

I’ve walked down the road hedges with roses; I’ve publicly proclaimed my interest in the works of Philip Judd. These four singles are the absolute core of Split Enz – almost all of the rest of their releases pale in comparison. Spoiled by Phil Manzanera? No, not really. He got some good work out of them – “Sweet Dreams”, the 2nd version of “Late Last Night” etc. The original “Mental Notes” (White Cloud NZ or Mushroom AUS versions) is one of my all-time favorite records; easily in the all-time Top 10.

Thanks for the music, boys. You know who your fans are!

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian Ware said...

I find it amazing that I was able to assemble a complete Oz/NZ singles collection WITHOUT ever going to New Zealand! To top it off, it was all pre-internet. Hand written letters! International replay coupons! Aerogrammes! Mail order and auction catalogs! Even more letters! As much as anything else, international record required infinite patience back in the day.

10:18 PM  
Blogger diplomaticpermissiondeepi said...

The marcel koopman website has a section on NZ Vertigo pressings, and wheeled out on a throne of gold is a low resolution scan of the 'Ends Vertigo '45, he apologises for the poor image, but that is all he could find. It must be pretty rare.

An interesting point. The label was designed to have information on one side and the Linda Glover/Olav Wyper[B.Riley] design on the other. That is what the meeting in Philips HQ London determined. Mr Wyper is under the impression that this rubric was changed AFTER he had left in late 1970, not so for UK issues, as they stuck to the format quite well (poss some UK issues may have concurred with OW's view) but I know that other territories had what OW suspected. can some general conclusion be drawn? I have not seen any Japanese pressings for example, what the view here?

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to include (diplomaticpermissiondeepi)that an irritating flaw in the design is the term 'Side A' is laid onto the label design. I find that superfluous. I wonder if there was a heated discussion about that at Philips HQ 1969.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home