The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Hollyridge Strings


5-13-08 The Hollyridge Strings

LP BEATLES SONGBOOK, THE Vol. 1 CAPITOL US ST-2116

1965? 11 TRKS stereo

LP BEATLES SONGBOOK, THE Vol. 2 CAPITOL US ST-2202

1965? 11 TRKS stereo

LP BEATLES SONGBOOK, THE Vol. 4 CAPITOL US ST-2656

1967? 11 TRKS Mort Garson

LP BEATLES SONGBOOK, THE Vol. 5 CAPITOL US ST-2876

1968? 11 TRKS Mort Garson

CD BEST OF THE BEATLES SONGBOOK, THE VARESE US VSD-5690

1996 18 TRK Collection

LP GEORGE, JOHN, PAUL & RINGO SONGBOOK, THE CAPITOL US ST-839

1971? 10 TRKS

LP HITS MADE FAMOUS BY THE FOUR SEASONS CAPITOL US ST-2199

1966? 11 TRKS stereo

LP HITS OF THE 70's CAPITOL US ST-883

1972? 10 TRKS

LP NEW BEATLES SONGBOOK (Vol. 3), THE CAPITOL US ST-2429

1966? 11 TRKS stereo

LP OLDIES BUT GOODIES CAPITOL US T-2564

1965? 11 TRKS mono

LP PLAY THE HITS OF SIMON & GARFUNKEL CAPITOL US ST-2998

1968? 11 TRKS Mort Garson

The Hollyridge Strings were dreamed up presumably by Stu Phillips – funded by Capitol Records in Los Angeles, to ‘cash in’ on the new success of The Beatles, approx. 1964. Indeed, I can’t find evidence of Hollyridge Strings records before The Beatles. I guess I should check “Stu Who?”, the Stu Phillips autobiography.

The Beatles’ Hollyridge Strings LP’s were in my home, when I was a child – as supplemental information to the miracle of The Beatles. I do not now remember if it was my brother who owned them – or my sisters. My guess is that the Hollyridge Strings LP’s didn’t make my dad angry.

My real interest in the Hollyridge Strings comes somewhat later – when I discovered that some of the latter day ones were arranged / conducted by Mort Garson – the electronic music genius responsible for “Cosmic Sounds Of The Zodiac” and “The Wozard Of IZ”. That’s right, Canadian Mort G. orchestrated the last few Beatles’ volumes of the Hollyridge Strings, as well as some…hybrids – “Oldies But Goodies” etc. Good work from a professional arranger. I just love all of Mort Garson’s orchestral easy listening LP’s – “Love Strings” etc. My favorite would have to be the “Dusk ‘Till Dawn Orchestra” on Elektra.

But let’s dance an easy listening groove to the Hollyridge Strings – scraping out seemingly endless Beatles’ cover tunes. On the CD “Best Of”, it says that they even used some H.S. beds under the dialogue on the other Capitol ‘cash in’ Beatles’ album: “The Beatles’ Story”.

Thanks, Stu! Thanks, Mort! Thanks, Capitol – for paying for this stuff to exist! And all our love to The Beatles. You guys made easy listening music lovable to me.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home