The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Not on vinyl?

Earlier, I ruminated about whether or not EMI (anywhere in the world) was going to make a vinyl version of the ’06 release by The Beatles, “Love”. If they do not, then it will be the first high profile Bealtes release to not be released in a vinyl edition. Somehow, I think they have to. The last studio album by The Rolling Stones “A Bigger Bang” was an unwieldy 4LPset, the ’06 Who release “Wire & Glass” was an LP package, too. Pete Townshend’s “Scoop 3” was a mail-order only multiple LP set – but it exists!

Going from vinyl to CD’s and back to vinyl – did some stuff get lost in the shuffle? I’ve never seen a vinyl version of the ’94 Traffic re-union album, “Far From Home”; I’ve never seen or heard of a vinyl version of Townshend’s “Psychoderelict”. 1994 seems to be the cut-off point – when things absolutely didn’t get an ‘automatic’ vinyl release. I remember working in a record store in the mid-90’s, and I always got requests for LP versions of popular (and not so popular) artists’ new works. I remember being surprised that a special order for Bob Dylan “Biograph” (1985) as a vinyl package actually arrived!

Another iffy title in the vinyl universe – “Tales of the Brothers Gibb” – the venerable Bee Gees’ boxed set. I am told it exists, but…I do not have one, never seen one…

Seems like the ‘new vinyl’ phenomena is tapering off for me – last one I can remember buying was 1994’s “Chasm” by Ryuichi Sakamoto or “It’s all Around You” (2004) by Tortoise (their recent boxed set didn’t come on vinyl, did it?).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My last "New Vinyl" goes back to 1986. Either a German WEA Black mini-LP with his 2 singles of material comped to ride the coattails of his then-mega "Wonderful Life" or possibly the UK LP of Stephen Duffy/Dr. Calculus' "Designer Beatnik." Every other piece of vinyl [and there has been a substantial amount, especially in the must-have-vinyl years of 92-02 where I was buying vinyl like it was going out of style - come to think of it, it did.] I've let into the collection since then has been 2nd hand.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

I must've made a mistake, "Chasm" by R. Sakamoto isn't from 94, it's from 04.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home