The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Command Records



12-9-08 Command

A good friend of mine collects the easy listening labels “Command” and “Project 3” – both labels started by Enoch Light. With perhaps one or two exceptions, I want to give my collection of these LP’s to my friend who virtually already has a full set of them. You never know – I might have some interesting variants! A quad version of something, perhaps? I always keep my eyes out for foreign pressings on these labels, ostensibly for my friend. I have found him some really unusual Command titles in Japan, for instance (“Golden Double Beat Deluxe”, I think it was called).


COMMAND


DeFRANCO, BUDDY DO YOU WANNA DANCE

940 S

CHARLES SINGERS, RAY SLICES OF LIFE

942 S

LARSON, HERB SAX APPEAL

943 S

COPPER PLATED INTEGRATED CIRCUIT PLUGGED IN POP

945S

VARIOUS ARTISTS COMMAND STEREO CHECK OUT

CSC 100

MOTTOLA, TONY MR. BIG

RS 33-807

LIGHT, ENOCH / ORCH. LET'S DANCE THE BOSSA NOVA

RS 33-851

DeCORMIER SINGERS, ROBERT HERITAGE

RS 33-884

MAGNANTE, CHARLES CARNIVAL IN FAR AWAY PLACES

RS 33-907

LIGHT, ENOCH / LIGHT BRIGADE PRIVATE LIFE OF A PRIVATE EYE, THE

RS 805 SD

PERSUASIVE PERCUSSION PERSUASIVE PERCUSSION Vol. 2

RS 808 SD

PERSUASIVE PERCUSSION PERSUASIVE PERCUSSION Vol. 3

RS 817 SD

LIGHT, ENOCH / ORCH. FAR AWAY PLACES

RS 822 SD

DIXIE REBELS TRUE DIXIELAND SOUND Vol. 2

RS 825 SD

MOTTOLA, TONY STRING BAND STRUM-ALONG

RS 828 SD

DAVIES, LEW STRANGE INTERLUDE

RS 829 SD

HYMAN, DICK DICK HYMAN AND HIS TRIO

RS 832 SD

MOTTOLA, TONY SPANISH GUITAR

RS 841 SD

EVANS, LEE LEE EVANS…IN CONCERT

RS 858 SD

SEVERINSEN, DOC TORCH SONGS FOR TRUMPET

RS 859 SD

LIGHT, ENOCH / ORCH. ROME 35/MM

RS 863 SD

MOTTOLA, TONY SENTIMENTAL GUITAR

RS 864 SD

LIGHT, ENOCH / LIGHT BRIGADE DIMENSION 3

RS 867 SD

LIGHT, ENOCH / ORCH. GREAT THEMES FROM HIT FILMS

RS 871 SD

LIGHT, ENOCH / ORCH. DISCOTHEQUE…DANCE…DANCE…DANCE

RS 874 SD

LIGHT, ENOCH / LIGHT BRIGADE NEW CONCEPT OF GREAT COLE PORTER SONGS, A

RS 879 SD

LIGHT, ENOCH / ORCH. DISCOTHEQUE Vol. 2

RS 882 SD

HYMAN, DICK HAPPENING!

RS 899SD

AYERS, MITCHELL / ORCH. HOLLYWOOD PALACE

RS 902 SD

SEVERINSEN, DOC COMMAND PERFORMANCES

RS 904 SD

SEVERINSEN, DOC / "And Friends" SWINGING & SINGING

RS 909 SD

BASIE, COUNT HOLLYWOOD…BASIE'S WAY

RS 912 SD

DeCORMIER SINGERS, ROBERT WALKING IN THE SUNSHINE

RS 916 SD

SEVERINSEN, DOC NEW SOUND OF TODAY'S BIG BAND, THE

RS 917 SD

KIME, WARREN EXPLOSIVE BRASS IMPACT

RS 919 SD

MAXWELL, ROBERT / ORCH. HARPISTRY IN RHYTHM

RS 932 SD

KIME, WARREN GOIN' SOMEPLACE!

RS 935 SD

SEVERINSEN, DOC DOC SEVERINSEN & STRINGS

RS 937 SD

HAYMAN, RICHARD / ORCH. CINEMAGIC SOUNDS

RS 941 S

JUNG, BOB / ORCH. BIG BAND SYNDROME, THE

RS 944 S

SEVERINSEN, DOC DOC SEVERINSEN'S CLOSET

RSSD 950 S


About the only ones I don’t think I could part with are the Enoch Light Singers, notably “Whoever You Are, I Love You”. Think of the shelf space I’ll get back if I can give all of these LP’s to my friend. It is my hope that he would go through them, accept any notable variants into his collection, and use the other ‘dupes’ to try and further his own Command / Project 3 collection. I could say that I wish he would write a book about Enoch Light, but I believe that has already been done – a college thesis, perhaps?


Oh, and I collect The Brass Ring – I have all of their Dunhill LP’s that I am aware of.


And I don’t think I could part with Doc Severinsen “Doc Severinsen’s Closet” – it has the most incredible easy listening cover version of all – Doc & his band actually attempt to play “In The Court Of The Crimson King”!



Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bet Doc & Co. could smoke on "21st Century Schizoid Man!"

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home