The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Phil Manzanera


11-25-08 Phil Manzanera


I never had the same trouble with Phil Manzanera that I did with Eno albums – for one, Robert Wyatt was on “Diamond Head”, the debut Manzanera solo album!


CD DIAMOND HEAD kami ARCANGELO JPN ARC-7288

LP DIAMOND HEAD ISLAND UK ILPS 9315

LP 801 LIVE (Various artists) ISLAND UK ILPS 9444

On CD as a part of a Kevin Ayers collection

CD LISTEN NOW kami ARCANGELO JPN ARC-7290

LP LISTEN NOW POLYDOR UK 2302 074

CD K-SCOPE kami ARCANGELO JPN ARC-7291

LP K-SCOPE POLYDOR US PD-1-6178

LP PRIMITIVE GUITARS EG US EGED 14

LP GUITARISSIMO EG US EGLP 69

CD MANZANERA ARCHIVES - RARE ONE EXPRESSION UK EXPCD 21

Which has material pertaining to their first four P.M. solo albums


And to this list, I supposed you could add Quiet Sun “Mainstream” (which I have on both LP and CD) – genuine ‘progressive rock’.


If I bought “Diamond Head” because of Robert Wyatt, I got the next two albums because of Split Enz members. Mr. Manzanera, of course, produced the UK Split Enz debut “Mental Notes” (not to be confused with the Australasian album of the same name, where the UK Enz LP is called “Second Thoughts”). And if we tack on another 20 years, I would’ve bought ‘em because of the involvement of Godley & Crème!


After “K-Scope”, I sort of gave up on P.M. – I recall that “Primitive Guitars” was an album of instrumentals and “Guitarissimo” was a collection. However, I have been getting his newer solo works (the ones on Hannibal / Rykodisc) and enjoying them.


I can reconcile buying Phil Manzanera solo albums while ignoring Brian Eno and Bryan Ferry solo albums. I never heard anybody go ‘over the top’ when talking about the Manzanera LP’s; the fandom thereof seemed dignified. I listened with open ears, and liked what I heard.


It was also via the Phil Manzanera albums that I heard Random Hold, an amazing British progressive rock band. Their debut record was produced by Peter Hammill, and featured members of Phil Manzanera’s band.


I do not think I will write about the 5 x Bryan Ferry solo albums that I have, I have not heard them enough to really know of any nuances worth writing about (it’s the first 5, FYI).


Coming next week, next month...."Rock Album Best 100" from the Japanese "Record Collector Magazine 25th Anniversary" special issue.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home