The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

USA, 1968

11-19-08 USA, 1968


The big hits of 1968 in the USA:


JOHN FRED & HIS PLAYBOY BAND – Judy In Disguise

LEMON PIPERS – Green Tambourine

PAUL MAURIAT – Love Is Blue

OTIS REDDING – (Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay

BOBBY GOLDSBORO – Honey

ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS – Tighten Up

SIMON & GARFUNKEL – Mrs. Robinson

HERB ALPERT – This Guy’s In Love With You

HUGH MASEKELA – Grazin’ In The Grass

DOORS, THE – Hello, I Love You

RASCALS, THE – People Got To Be Free

JEANNIE C. RILEY – Harper Valley PTA

BEATLES, THE – Hey Jude / Revolution

DIANA ROSS / SUPREMES – Love Child

MARVIN GAYE – I Heard It Through The Grapevine


I am OK with most all of these hits – in 1968, you couldn’t miss ‘em. Even at 10 years of age, I was already more interested in albums than singles. I was also exposed to slightly “underground” bands, like Frank Zappa, Country Joe & The Fish, The Fugs etc – groups that did not trouble the charts. Paul Mauriat and Hugh Masekela were both instrumentals, OK in my book. Otis Redding, Archie Bell & The Drells, Diana Ross & The Supremes and Marvin Gaye are soul music, so not my #1 focus (I like Otis the best of the four).


Of the above listed artists, I have all the LP’s by Simon & Garfunkel, The Doors and The Beatles. I will call John Fred & His Playboy Band and The Lemon Pipers “singles artists”.


So, one French guy, one South African and one British act. Certainly a different line-up than it was in 1964! Sorry, I don’t know if there are any hidden Canadians present.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home