The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Friday, November 09, 2007

Peter Gabriel

11-9-07 Peter Gabriel

12" BIKO CHARISMA UK CB 370-12

CD BIRDY GEFFEN US GEFD-24070

7" D.I.Y. / MOTHER OF VIOLENCE / TEDDY BEAR CHARISMA UK CB 319

7" D.I.Y. / PERSPECTIVE CHARISMA IRL CB 311

12" DON'T GIVE UP (with Kate Bush) CHARISMA UK PGS 212

LP EIN DEUTSCHES ALBUM CHARISMA DE 6302 035

12" I DON'T REMEMBER CHARISMA UK GAB 12

7" MODERN LOVE / SLOWBURN CHARISMA UK CB 302

CD PASSION GEFFEN US 24206.2

LPx2 PASSION GEFFEN US GHS 24206

LP PETER GABRIEL (1st album) CHARISMA UK CDS 4006

CD PETER GABRIEL (1st album) re GEFFEN US 493299.2

LP PETER GABRIEL (2nd album) CHARISMA UK CDS 4013

CD PETER GABRIEL (2nd album) re GEFFEN US 493300.2

LP PETER GABRIEL (3rd album) GEFFEN US GHS 2035

LP PETER GABRIEL (4th album) GEFFEN US GHS 2011

LPx2 PLAYS LIVE GEFFEN US 2GHS 4012

CD SHAKING THE TREE - 16 GOLDEN GREATS GEFFEN US 24326.2

12" SHOCK THE MONKEY CHARISMA UK SHOCK 12

12" SLEDGEHAMMER CHARISMA UK PGS 113

7" SLEDGEHAMMER / DON'T BREAK THIS RHYTHM VIRGIN JPN 07VA-1039

LP SO GEFFEN US GHS 24088

CD3 SOLSBURY HILL VIRGIN UK CDT 33

7" SOLSBURY HILL / MORIBUND THE BURGERMEISTER CHARISMA UK CB 301

CD UP GEFFEN US 3388.2

CD US VIRGIN JPN VJCP-28147

12" WALK THROUGH THE FIRE promo ATLANTIC US PR 609

The major bone I have to pick with Peter Gabriel is that when the band Random Hold was offered to be his opening act on a U.S. tour around 1980/1 or so – Gabriel’s fans were so uninterested in them that the band broke up because of the extreme negative reaction that Gabriel’s fans exhibited.

So, it took me a few decades to get around to his recorded output – mainly starting when his LP’s began hitting the $1 bin in fairly large quantities. Except for the 2 x re-mastered CD’s I have chosen to buy, all of the other CD’s came from the $3 bin. And I pick up the singles, 7” and 12”, whenever I see UK copies inexpensively.

I always did like the first two solo albums by Peter Gabriel; I saw him live at The Roxy in L.A. in ’77. I bought his DVD of music videos. I really enjoy many titles on his Realworld label. I liked some Genesis albums at the time they were released, but did not even follow them until Gabriel left.

So, Gabriel fans – what should I listen to closely in the above list? Having recently heard “Us” & “Up” – I enjoyed some tracks on those albums. I’d like to find a CD of “Ovo”, as it didn’t even get a U.S. release. Shall I try any of his more recent live CD’s or DVD’s?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: pg

Listen to album 3 LAST because it's so awe-inspiring an achievement it makes everything else he's done pale in comparison! Album 1 is bombastic but diverse. Not a bad start. "Humdrum" is the song that after 30 years I can't get out of my head. I love how the arrangement mutates constantly. Album 2 was my introduction to Peter Gabriel. It is graced with Fripp and the radio tunes DIY and On The Air are among his best. But the album is largely the antithesis of the bombast of album 1. Fripp dryly produces on purpose. Album 3 blows my mind even more 27 years later. I mean I was on it like a duck to water the week it came out and it stands as the primary musical achievement to me of the 1980s. Unbelievable songs and playing/arrangement/production. Album 4 moves more strongly in an afro-world direction and it is a great album to follow #3. It doesn't startle and astound - it's merely an excellent album. Plays Live is a live album with admitted overdubs. I still have the US 2xCD version. There was a single disc UK version back in the day and now that one is all anyone gets. It's okay but one can live without it. So [album 5] was a huge disappointment to me when it arrived and time hasn't treated it any kinder. Only Red Rain and In Your Eyes are cuts from that I care to hear again. I stopped buying them after that. What I heard here and there suggested PG had passed my interests by. I bought the music vid DVD even though I had a JPN LD of "CV" JUST to see the 1977 Modern Love clip by Peter Medak! It was worth it to me. But the post 1985 music on it didn't engage me too much. I was shocked when I saw his "new look" a few years ago. He reminds me of Uncle Fester for some reason now! And anyone who would leave their wife for Roseanna Arquette [!?] [and then moan about it for a whole tedious album] is not to be taken too seriously any more!

p.s. Roseanna Arquette dated Paul Buchanan of The Blue Nile after PG and the album that followed THAT coupling also sucked massively! Musicians I like - STAY AWAY FROM ROSEANNA ARQUETTE!!! Personal to dude from Toto - have a field day!

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home