The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Flo & Eddie

10-25-07 Flo & Eddie

AFTERGLOW / CARLOS AND DE BULL REPRISE US REP 1142 7"

BEST OF RHINO US R2 71097 CD

ELEANOR (Mono) / (Stereo) promo COLUMBIA US 3-10425 7"

FLO & EDDIE REPRISE US MS 2141 LP

HISTORY OF FLO & EDDIE AND THE TURTLES, THE RHINO US RNTA 1998 LPx3

ILLEGAL, IMMORAL AND FATTENING ONE WAY US A 22673 CD

ILLEGAL, IMMORAL AND FATTENING COLUMBIA US PC 33554 LP

KEEP IT WARM (Mono) / (Stereo) promo COLUMBIA US 3-10458 7"

LET ME MAKE LOVE TO YOU (Mono) / (Stereo) promo COLUMBIA US 3-10028 7"

MOVING TARGETS MONDO RECO A 23578 CD

MOVING TARGETS COLUMBIA US PC 34262 LP

PHLORESCENT LEECH & EDDIE REPRISE US MS 2099 LP

REBECCA / ILLEGAL, IMMORAL AND FATTENING COLUMBIA US 3-10264 7"

ROCK STEADY WITH FLO & EDDIE EPIPHANY US ELP 4010 LP

Mark Volman & Howard Kaylan. To be perfectly honest, I was never much of a Turtles fan – the hit singles are OK, but I was never really inclined to buy any of those albums – though good friends of mine tell me some of the Turtles LP’s are wonderful. And I am a big fan of Chip Taylor’s songwriting.

I really warmed to them when they joined Frank Zappa’s band. I just love the albums of Zappa’s where Flo & Eddie are the featured vocalists – “Chunga’s Revenge”, “200 Motels”, “Fillmore East, June 1971” and “Just Another Band From L.A.” – not to mention their unreleased demo album, “What Will This Evening Bring Me This Morning” – where one can see the “200 Motels” songs intertwined with the “Fillmore East” material.

I also knew that they sang backing vocals for Marc Bolan / T. Rex and The Psychedelic Furs. On the “History of Flo & Eddie” triple LP, one can hear Marc Bolan goofing around on their radio show, really rather amusing. I met them (briefly) at the time of their ‘reggae’ album, enough to tell them that I enjoyed their work with Mr. Zappa.

I have always felt that they should have been a lot ‘bigger’ than they were – certainly, their backing vocals were very commercially successful – particularly with T. Rex. But the quartet of Flo & Eddie albums (while very, very good) aren’t particularly well-known or observed. As far as I know, the 2 x Columbia albums have recently been re-released as a two-fer set from England – with just about everything else out of print (such as the Rhino “Best of”). Did you know they sang the theme to “Strawberry Shortcake”?

I remember hearing recently that Howard Kaylan was selling some of his music career memorabilia at auction – gee, I hope he did alright. I would’ve liked some of the Zappa stuff, but…it was all way over my head.

Thanks for the music, boys. I hope we haven’t heard the last of you!


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Flo & Eddie

I am always amazed where these two turn up. It's nice to have such pros be cool people. I really think their BVs on Duran Duran's cover of iggy pop's "Success" on their misbegotten "Thank You" album is one of its few high points. They also turned up on The Ramones "Mondo Bizarro" on the Beach Boys pastiche "Touring." For the record, F&E don't have much good to say about their exploits apres the 70s. It's just a paycheck to them.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Jefferson Starship

Ron! How could you??!! Just because its round and makes noise when you spin it doesn't mean you should buy it! Jefferson Starship?!!!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

RCA sampler CD, Jim-san...

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home