The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Monday, October 29, 2007

Auditioning Hobbies

10-29-07 Auditioning Hobbies

It has been suggested to me that it’s time for me to change my hobby. Yes, I know I suck as a record collector and music fan. I shame all of the decent folks who have chosen this august pass-time.

We have teased (my GF & I) about becoming birdwatchers for some time now. I greatly enjoyed the recent book called “To See Every Bird On Earth” (or thereabouts) – I was surprised at the amount of ‘exclusive’ language that birders used. But how would we be accepted into the local birding community? (If such a thing exists in urban Los Angeles). Are birdwatchers as jealous as record collectors? “I saw it first!” “No, you can’t see my notebook!” etc. “That’s not a _____________ . It’s a __________ .”

We have a Flickr (photo sharing) site where we post our vacation photos and I sometimes upload some of my record collector arcane. Believe it or not, our photographs of flowers receive a lot of attention – it’s as though the Flickr botanists have found us. Should we specialize in digital botany photography? Should I go out and buy an Art Wolfe lens? For me, it’s a great compliment when someone posts a question to us via Flickr like “What special lens and settings do you use?” – when, in fact, we just point the camera and press the button. No idea or theory regarding light or camera settings – just see something nice looking and “CLICK!”. So, before I even get started down a hobby in botanical photography – will I be laughed out of the Bottanical Gardens just for not knowing or caring what the heck camera settings I will be using?

I’ve blown through a few other hobbies already – from the early 80’s until the late 90’s, I collected videotapes – mostly of music. I have 22,000+ music videos. So, not really interested in collecting more videos – no matter what format they are on.

I’d love to list travel as a hobby – when it’s likely more accurate to call it my “interest” – if I had the time and money, I’d travel for 6-9 months out of the year! But, can’t quite do that – would my job understand? How quickly would the cash run out? Certainly before my interest would run out. Japan, here we come! (Well, one day…)

Maybe I should just stick with being a goofy record collector. Yes, I already have way too many – but, but, but…it’s what I know, what I like, what I remember…it never just seems like a simple nostalgia – music collecting. I have always regarded my interest in music as a supplement to my intellect.

So, what’s your suggestion for us, as a “new hobby”? We’re not planning on having any kids; we may eventually get another cat. What adult hobby do you recommend for me & my significant other? Please keep in mind where we live – so “Swamp Buggy Racing” isn’t really a viable option. And I am trying to cut down on sugar – so I think I’ll give a miss to studying to become a pastry chef.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron:

Other hobbies just get in the way of record collecting! Why not take up research/compiling/editing/remastering/designing Boxed Sets Of God for a hobby that is massively congruent with record collecting? And darned multi-faceted to boot?

10:15 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

Perhaps that's what I am trying to get away from?

6:31 PM  
Blogger Brian Ware said...

The challenge is to find a hobby that doesn't just involve spending more money to accumulate more things. Sharing some kind of physical activity like yoga, tai chi, or dance lessons would at least be congruent with everyone's need for fitness. I guess since you're already so comfortable with photography, that would be a logical direction to explore further. I really enjoy your photo postings.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

I could see going deeper into photography - and that's sort of 'non-material'. For physical activity, I have greatly enjoyed all the walking I've done in the last few years...

7:43 AM  
Blogger Warren Bowman said...

You know, I heard yesterday that they are going to make a Green Lantern movie. I don't believe that there is a Green Lantern guy out in front of Mann's Chinese theater yet.....I'll even spring for the lantern!

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Tango

It's all about the shoes, it's very sexy and clever and classy and it's something best done as a couple. A great reason to dress up.

_Bob

6:54 PM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

The only music I have ever successfully danced to was "Much Ado About Nothing" by Lavvi Ebbel. Doubt I can do the tango convincingly; I do not particularly care for that style of musica.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Warren Bowman said...

Well, there's always the old standby or beekeeper.....

10:47 PM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

What about hornets? "Don't They All Give Honey?" - and what about the international worldwide decline of bee population?

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home