The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Lately (2007 Releases)


10-16-07 Lately (2007 releases)

VIBERT, LUKE CHICAGO, DETROIT, REDRUTH”, PLANET MU UK

SHEARER, HARRY SONGS POINTED & POINTLESS”, COURGETTE US

SHEARER, HARRY NOT ENOUGH INDIANS” (4CD boxed set), PHOENIX US

CALE, JOHN / LCD SOUNDSYSTEM ALL MY FRIENDS”, EMI UK

LCD SOUNDSYSTEM / ARCADE FIRE NO LOVE LOST”, MERGE US

STILLS, STEPHEN JUST ROLL TAPE - APRIL 26, 1968”, RHINO US

YOUR SONG IS GOOD HOT! HOT! HOT! HOT! HOT! HOT!”, UNIVERSAL JPN

RITA MITSOUKO, LES VARIETY”, WAGRAM FR

STARR, RINGO PHOTOGRAPH - VERY BEST OF RINGO STARR”, CAPITOL US

VARIOUS ARTISTS NOW WE ARE TEN”, TRUNK UK

All titles listed here are 2007 releases, with a few even being brand new releases by current artists – some are “Best of” titles, and music recorded the previous century.

Luke Vibert is a (British?) electronica artist also known as “Wagon Christ” – I love his 90’s titles (on Mo’ Wax) and I spotted this one on a new release rack @ Amoeba Records. Harry Shearer is a KCRW radio personality who was also in Spinal Tap and part of the Credibility Gap – I love his work, and this year has brought us a 4CD spoken word “audio book” and a CD of ‘songs’. For LCD Soundsystem, I have obtained two 7” singles – one a split with The Arcade Fire and the other a split single with John Cale (singing one of LCD’s songs). The Stephen Stills is a 1968 demo tape that remained unreleased for nearly 40 years. Your Song Is Good is a band that I saw live in Japan – lots of fun. Les Rita Mitsouko is a wonderful French band that I have been following for over 20 years – I even got to see them play live in Los Angeles! (Thanks, Cary!). I couldn’t resist the Ringo Starr “Best of” – because of the DVD that is included, just wonderful. I have been buying CD’s directly from Jonny J.B.H. at Trunk Records (in England) for a few years now – we have a common interest in the works of Basil Kirchin. I jumped at the chance to buy a sampler CD from him – inexpensive, and I knew almost none of the music on it. Fabulous! I liked a lot of it, and laughed out-loud at some of it – especially Bill Posters Will Be Banned – just hilarious work.

So, what 2007 releases have you obtained and enjoyed...thus far?


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re; Current Events

It seems that I have virtually stopped buying contemporary music around the late 80s. Part of the reason was the realization that if I wait long enough, it will be cheap and used! So "new albums" are often obtained 5-7 years doen the road. Then the CD revolution made for a LOT of re-issues if I DID buy new. Then the new music seemed to be going through a dry period as well. I stopped getting exposed to newer music since I: did not listen to the radio, MTV stopped playing music by the late 80s, stopped buying music magazines - the $ was better spent on actual music once they got over the $5 mark. It's hard enough following the 50-60 artists I love and collect! This year I have bought only 2 2007 pressings:

John Cale - Cirkus 2xCD+DVD
OneTwo - Cloud 9 (single)

I have not listened to the Cale yet, but his 2004 concert we attended was electrifying. I am way stoked about the OneTwo single - it has 2 remixes from the 2007 album by OneTwo (which I don't have yet - I opted for the single instead with my Amazon gift certificate for my recent birthday!) which are phenomenally brilliant - hard to imagine remixes which work so strongly for me in this eraq, but there you go.

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ron,
Very interesting your personal commentary about Pilot in your blog, was an excellent band specially for the relation with Alan Parsons. I am glad that you conserve the activity and I wait for an answer by e-mail.
Good luck, friend...
Harry
(aka Marcelo)

2:37 PM  
Blogger Brian Ware said...

Quite a bit of new music this year but only a few actual 2007 releases -
By far the hands down best for me is Mitch Easter's "Dynamico". If there is an American Phil Judd I reckon it's Mitch. Got to see him live over the summer as well.

Jack Hues of Wang Chung has a side project called The Quartet which released a CD of jazz instrumentals. Nothing to write home about - it's okay.

Also Mig and Suzie from Rock Start INXS released their debuts and both were a bit of a let down. Really safe slick commerical material. I really liked both of them at the time, but clearly they listened too much to the corporate suits.

And finally, Kenna really wanted to hear the new Crowded House who reformed after Paul Hester's untimely death. I guess the LP "Time Of Earth" was good therapy for them, but really depressing listening for us.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home