The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My Journey


10-17-07 My Journey

I am thinking about what music to subject my friends to, when / if they come to my 50th birthday party next year in Portland, OR. There are three events planned for my birthday, and the middle one (08-09-08) is at the hotel we are staying at, where we can rent a P.A. and spin some sides while everybody eats and drinks. I’d like to think that the places where we are having the other two events would play any CD’s that we would give ‘em, but…bars are not usually so cooperative.

What to put on said discs? Some days, my memory is clearer than others, today it isn’t bad. Probably best if I can actually remember the title (if not the chronology), rather than being reminded by looking it up in my A-Z, huh? There won’t be enough time to give large amounts from each artist – maybe just a track or two. Let the memory decide.

SPIKE JONES – Extract from Side 1 of “Dinner Music For People Who Aren’t Very Hungry”

HARRY BELAFONTE – Will His Love Be Like His Rum (from “Calypso”)

HARMONICATS –

DAVID SEVILLE & THE CHIPMUNKS – Ragtime Cowboy Joe

SHEB WOOLEY – Purple People Eater

ELVIS PRESLEY – Shake Rattle & Roll

STAN FREBERG – Wide Screen Mama

CHARLES MINGUS – Moanin’

FREDDY CANNON – Way Down Yonder In New Orleans

MY FAIR LADY (O.C.) – Why Can’t The English Learn To Speak?

RAY STEVENS – Jeremiah Peabody…

JAMES DARREN – Goodbye Cruel World

JOHN LEYTON – Johnny Remember Me or something else…

JORGEN INGMAN – Apache

LAURIE JOHNSON ORCHESTRA – Theme from “The Avengers”

THE TORNADOS – Telstar

GERRY TEMPLE – Seventeen Come Sunday

THE NEWBEATS – Bread & Butter

PAUL PETERSEN – She Can’t Find Her Keys

ROBERT MITCHUM – The Ballad of Thunder Road

SAM THE SHAM & THE PHAROAS – Little Red Riding Hood

ALVIN CASH & THE CRAWLERS – Twine Time

THE BEATLES – She Loves You

SUE THOMPSONNorman

THE SEARCHERS – Love Potion No. 9

FREDDIE & THE DREAMERS – I’m Telling You Now

GERRY& THE PACEMAKERS – It’s Gonna Be Alright

THE COASTERS – What About Us?

CHARLIE & INEZ FOXX – Mockingbird

JOHN CAGE – Extract from “Indeterminacy”

etc. etc. etc.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last cut... [guffaws] I plan on being there when conversation suddenly stops!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

Yes, Jim - but it's only 12 minute long - and not very loud. It's just John Cage talking about mushrooms and mushroom identification. so glad to hear you will be there.

RK

7:31 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

I meant 1 minute long.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home