The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Friday, June 22, 2007

New Releases 1972.06.26

Phonolog Reports – New Releases

Week of June 26, 1972

Caught my eye:

JOHN LENNON & YOKO ONO – Sometime In New York City (Apple SVBB-3392) double LP (LP) (CD)

ALICE COOPER – School’s Out (Warner Brothers 3623) (LP) (CD)

Double LP for John & Yoko – that featured Frank Zappa! Not anybody’s favorite Lennon LP, however. And a hit for former Zappa-proteges Alice Cooper (LP came with a ‘gimmicks’ package initially).

Also of interest:

P.F. SLOAN – Raised On Records (Mums KZ-31260)

IKE & TINA TURNER – Feel Good (United Artists UAS 5598)

Singer / songwriter stuff for P.F. Sloan; R&B toughness for Ike & Tina.

Notable singles:

SEALS & CROFTS – Summer Breeze b/w East of Ginger Trees (Warner Brothers 7606)

PARRISH & GURVITZ – I’ve Got Time b/w Janine (Decca 32969)

THE DOORS – Get Up and Dance (Elektra 45793)

SPARKS – Mr. Nice Guys (No More) b/w Wonder Girl (Bearsville 006)

NEIL YOUNG / GRAHAM NASH – War Song b/w The Needle and The Damage Done (Reprise 1099)

A hit for Seals & Crofts; British Parrish & Gurvitz get a US single – not sure which was the A-side (but I’ve listed my favorite first); Post-Jim Doors 45; certainly one of the first Sparks 45’s!; Non-LP A-side for Neil Young / Graham Nash?

= = =

The Ron Kane Files now take a well-earned vacation from the blogosphere. If I can figure out how to post from Tokyo, I will. Otherwise, see you on July 8th or 9th. School is, indeed - OUT!


Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Alice Cooper

Did the initial pressing actually come with a real pair of panties or was it a simulation? I've heard a lot about this in the last 20 years or so but even though I knew people who owned this album when it was new, the gimmick aspect of the packaging was never mentioned. Flash forward a year and every kid I knew was ga-ga over the more conventional "Billion Dollar Baboes" packaging and shared it with me. Wha...?

Re: Seals & Crofts

Not nostalgic for these guys! Like, say Pablo Cruise, it's the "70's music no one is nostalgic for" - soon to be a major motion picture!

Re: Sparks

I wish I'd heard this band earlier than 1981!

Re: Nippon

Have a great vacation!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

AC: Paper panties, I believe. Will do on the Tokyo Holiday. Be seeing you!

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home