The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Thursday, June 21, 2007

New Releases 1972.06.19


Phonolog Reports – New Releases

Week of June 19, 1972

Caught my eye:

GORGONI, MARTIN & TAYLOR – self-titled (2nd album) (Buddah BDS 5113) (LP)

BIFF ROSE – Uncle Jesus, Auntie Christ (United Artists UAS-5594) (LP)

Songwriter release day! Chip Taylor wrote “Wild Thing”, Biff Rose wrote “Buzz The Fuzz”!

Also of interest:

BLACK OAK ARKANSAS – If An Angel Came To See You (Would You Make Her Feel At Home?) (Atco SD 7008)

SHA NA NA – Night Is Still Young (Kama Sutra 2050)

HONEY COMB – self-titled (Hot Wax 713)

Not the first Black Oak album; Sha Na Na continue after their Woodstock intro; Honey Comb will shortly release the “Want Ads” single (if it didn’t already sneak by me!).

Notable singles:

SMITH, PERKINS & SMITH – Save Me b/w I Cry Mercy (Island / Capitol 1206)

LOU REED – I Can’t Stand It b/w Going Down (RCA 74-0727)

JAMES BROWN – Honky Tonk (Parts 1 & 2) (Polydor 14129)

O’JAYS – Backstabbers b/w Sunshine (Philadelphia Int’l ZS7-3517)

THE GUESS WHO – Albert Flasher b/w Broken (RCA 74-0906)

CHICAGO – Colour My World b/w I’m A Man (Columbia 4-33210)

SANTANA – Everybody’s Everything b/w No One To Depend On (Columbia 4-33211)

JANE BIRKIN & SERGE GAINSBOURG – La Decadanse b/w Langues De Chat (Fontana 1684)

JANIS JOPLIN – Cry Baby b/w Mercedes Benz (Columbia 4-33208)

PEGGY LEE – Is That All There Is? b/w I’m A Woman (Capitol 6191)

JOHN DENVER – Take Me Home Country Roads b/w Poems, Prayers & Promises (RCA 74-0904)

SUE THOMPSON – Sweet Memories b/w Take Me As I Am (Or Let Me Go) (Hickory 1641)

The Smith, Perkins & Smith A-side is the best track here! Big R&B classic for the O’Jays; I didn’t know Serge & Jane got a post-“Je T’aime” release in the US!; Posthumous 45 from Janis; almost the end of the line for the original Hickory Records 45 numbering series – and I have dozens of Sue Thompson 45’s!!


Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Peggy Lee

Oh, I don't know if I'd hold any of those 45s above the great "Is That All There Is?" But I always thought that was a 60s release. Was this a re-issue? (checks) Yes! It was originally released in '69! But I also favor the Ojay's number next best. Truth to tell: I don't recognize Smith, Perkins & Smith. Pray elicudate?

5:17 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

It was a big week for re-releases, apparently. SP&S were one of the only US bands to sign directly with Island. Cool single & LP.

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home