The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Thursday, January 29, 2009

What I’ve Been Listening To…Lately


1-29-09 What I’ve Been Listening To…Lately


Lately, I have mostly been listening to stuff I got in San Francisco and Berkeley at the beginning of the month. I haven’t listened to everything as yet, just a few – some even on the way home in the GF’s car.


A year ago, I was thoroughly investigating Bob Dylan & The Band – “The Basement Tapes”, no doubt fuelled by a recent book on the topic that I got in S.F. This year, there is nothing that is clearly attracting my attention, in the music universe.


BLACK, MICHAEL IAN I AM A WONDERFUL MAN, COMEDY CENTRAL US CD

Pretty funny live stand-up comedy from a guy I used to see on VH-1.


DIRTY FAN MALE s/t, TRUNK UK CD

Letters to “Page 3” girls etc., read in funny British voices; very eccentric! Jonny Trunk!


NYMAN, MICHAEL – The Draughtsman’s Contract, Drowning By Numbers and The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (all UK soundtracks)

I had a Michael Nyman night the other night, as I laid there and read the Deviants / Pink Fairies book.


PASSIONS THIRTY THOUSAND FEET OVER CHINA, CHERRY RED UK CD

Their 2nd album, with some B-sides added; rather psychedelic / progressive for 1981.


SIMMONS, JEFF LUCILLE HAS MESSED MY MIND UP, CCM US CD

1969 Zappa-produced ‘rock music’ album by bassist Simmons; a few really good songs.


STUMP – COMPLETE ANTHOLOGY, SANCTUARY UK 3CD boxed set

I quickly played the 3rd disc, with the previously unreleased material, all very cool – also nice to finally get the first two Stump EP’s properly on CD finally!


SWEET DESOLATION BOULEVARD, BMG UK CD

The UK version, with the covers of “My Generation” and the theme from “The Man With The Golden Arm” (that includes a drum solo!) – CD is the vers. with only 2 x bonus tracks.


WRIGHT, STEVEN I STILL HAVE A PONY, COMEDY CENTRAL US CD

The 2nd album by stand-up comedian Wright (from Boston). His debut album (on Warner Brothers, some 20+ years earlier) is called “I Have A Pony”.


FRANK ZAPPA – LUMPY MONEY, ZAPPA US 3CD boxed set

Quite illuminating, the orchestral “Lumpy Gravy” tracks! And I dearly love “We’re Only In It For The Money”, presented on this set in glorious mono. I’m still a big fan…


Also rather amused with post-Cream Eric Clapton (circa ’70), I recently got a not-re-mastered 2CD set of “Layla”!


- Ron


1 Comments:

Blogger chas_m said...

Steven Wright's a piece of work and no mistake.

20+ years between comedy albums. I'm all for men of low ambition (being one myself) but -- who does he think he is, STEELY DAN??

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home