The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Thursday, January 29, 2009

What I’ve Been Listening To…Lately


1-29-09 What I’ve Been Listening To…Lately


Lately, I have mostly been listening to stuff I got in San Francisco and Berkeley at the beginning of the month. I haven’t listened to everything as yet, just a few – some even on the way home in the GF’s car.


A year ago, I was thoroughly investigating Bob Dylan & The Band – “The Basement Tapes”, no doubt fuelled by a recent book on the topic that I got in S.F. This year, there is nothing that is clearly attracting my attention, in the music universe.


BLACK, MICHAEL IAN – I AM A WONDERFUL MAN, COMEDY CENTRAL US CD

Pretty funny live stand-up comedy from a guy I used to see on VH-1.


DIRTY FAN MALE – s/t, TRUNK UK CD

Letters to “Page 3” girls etc., read in funny British voices; very eccentric! Jonny Trunk!


NYMAN, MICHAEL – The Draughtsman’s Contract, Drowning By Numbers and The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (all UK soundtracks)

I had a Michael Nyman night the other night, as I laid there and read the Deviants / Pink Fairies book.


PASSIONS – THIRTY THOUSAND FEET OVER CHINA, CHERRY RED UK CD

Their 2nd album, with some B-sides added; rather psychedelic / progressive for 1981.


SIMMONS, JEFF – LUCILLE HAS MESSED MY MIND UP, CCM US CD

1969 Zappa-produced ‘rock music’ album by bassist Simmons; a few really good songs.


STUMP – COMPLETE ANTHOLOGY, SANCTUARY UK 3CD boxed set

I quickly played the 3rd disc, with the previously unreleased material, all very cool – also nice to finally get the first two Stump EP’s properly on CD finally!


SWEET – DESOLATION BOULEVARD, BMG UK CD

The UK version, with the covers of “My Generation” and the theme from “The Man With The Golden Arm” (that includes a drum solo!) – CD is the vers. with only 2 x bonus tracks.


WRIGHT, STEVEN – I STILL HAVE A PONY, COMEDY CENTRAL US CD

The 2nd album by stand-up comedian Wright (from Boston). His debut album (on Warner Brothers, some 20+ years earlier) is called “I Have A Pony”.


FRANK ZAPPA – LUMPY MONEY, ZAPPA US 3CD boxed set

Quite illuminating, the orchestral “Lumpy Gravy” tracks! And I dearly love “We’re Only In It For The Money”, presented on this set in glorious mono. I’m still a big fan…


Also rather amused with post-Cream Eric Clapton (circa ’70), I recently got a not-re-mastered 2CD set of “Layla”!


- Ron


1 Comments:

Blogger chas_m said...

Steven Wright's a piece of work and no mistake.

20+ years between comedy albums. I'm all for men of low ambition (being one myself) but -- who does he think he is, STEELY DAN??

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home