The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Spirit / Jo Jo Gunne


1-15-09 Spirit / Jo Jo Gunne


I think I got hipped to Spirit by a guy who lived down the street from me (“Jerry D.”). He had their first album, with “Fresh Garbage”, “Uncle Jack” etc. Rock music with jazz influences. My older sister lived in Topanga Canyon, so she had heard of them, too. I remember when “I Got A Line On You” was on the AM radio, too. But I’m too young to remember Spirit ever playing around L.A., unfortunately.


Jo Jo Gunne came along years later, of course. I heard “Run Run Run” and “Shake That Fat” on the FM radio! And who could forget hearing Jay FergusonThunder Island” (also on the FM radio). I never got the chance to see them, either.


I understand that Ed Cassidy and Jay Ferguson still live in Ojai, CA – and that sometimes Spirit and Jo Jo Gunne play around Ventura county. I’d sure like to see that. Maybe I’ll get my chance yet!


Really a shame about Randy California passing away. I am still amazed that he was on that Peter Hammill record (“Red Shift” on “The Silent Corner & The Empty Stage”, Charisma Records).


And I love Juicy Lucy’s cover version of “Mr. Skin” (as found on “Get A Whiff A This”).


SPIRIT


LP BEST OF EPIC US KE 32271

1973 11 TRK Collection, promo

CD CLEAR SPIRIT ODE/EPIC US EK 65002

1969 16 TRKS ('96 issue) (4 x bonus tracks)

LP FAMILY THAT PLAYS TOGETHER, THE ODE US Z12 44014

1969 11 TRKS

CD FAMILY THAT PLAYS TOGETHER, THE ODE/EPIC US EK 65001

1969 16 TRKS ('96 issue) (5 x bonus tracks)

7" I GOT A LINE ON YOU / (Same) ODE US ZS7-115

1969 2 TRKS no pic sleeve, promo

LP SPIRIT ODE US Z12 44004

1968? 11 TRKS

CD SPIRIT ODE/EPIC US EK 64965

1968 15 TRKS ('96 issue) (6 x bonus tracks)

CD TWELVE DREAMS OF DR. SARDONICUS ODE/EPIC US EK 65003

1970 16 TRKS ('96 issue) (4 x bonus tracks)


JO JO GUNNE


CD ASYLUM RECORDINGS, THE RHINO HANDMADE RMH2 7722

2000 21 TRKS ('72 - '73 recordings) first two albums and bonus tracks!

LP JO JO GUNNE ASYLUM US SD 5053

1972 9 TRKS


Also very interesting that there appears to be a cult of people who think Jay Ferguson’s “Thunder Island” is an ultimate pop record…


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thunder Island the ultimate pop record…??!! What are "they" smoking??!! That was only the ultimate pop record if you are a crass, middle aged ex-hippy pining for some "free love." I always hated that record. It made my flesh creep.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

Not my favorite record either, Jim-san.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home