The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Kim Wilde


4-23-08 Kim Wilde

I was onto her right at the beginning, but never made it to the “MCA years”. She is the daughter of British rock ‘n’ roller Marty Wilde.

7" BITTER IS BETTER / BOYS TOSHIBA/RAK JPN ERS-17225

7" CAMBODIA / WATCHING FOR SHAPES EMI/RAK UK RAK 336

LP CATCH AS CATCH CAN EMI/RAK UK SRAK 165408.1

7" CHEQUERED LOVE / SHANE EMI/RAK UK RAK 330

7" CHILD COME AWAY / JUST ANOTHER GUY EMI/RAK UK RAK 352

7" DANCING IN THE DARK / BACK STREET DRIVER TOSHIBA/RAK JPN ERS-17391

7" KIDS IN AMERICA / TUNING IN EMI/RAK DE 1C 008-64249

CD KIM WILDE EMI/FAME UK CDFA 3214

LP KIM WILDE EMI AMERICA US ST-17065

7" LOVE BLONDE / CAN YOU HEAR IT EMI/RAK AUS RAK 1024

LP SELECT EMI/RAK UK SRAK 548

7" TAKE ME TONIGHT / VIEW FROM A BRIDGE TOSHIBA/RAK JPN ERS-17349

CD VERY BEST OF TOSHIBA JPN CP21-6066

7" VIEW FROM A BRIDGE / TAKE ME TONIGHT EMI/RAK UK RAK 342

7" WATER ON GLASS / BOYS EMI/RAK UK RAK 334

EMI England certainly had the female pop vocalists going for a while there – Kate Bush, Kim Wilde, Sheena Easton…Kate Bush was almost exactly my age, and Kim Wilde was just a little younger than me. And she was a blonde!

You’re shaking your head – “Why is Ron even talking about Kim Wilde?” – wait for it – the backing band on her debut album (and presumably the singles from the debut album) is none other than The Enid – a famous progressive rock band of the day. They’re even pictured standing behind her on the cover of her debut album! And, yes, I like the singles “Kids In America”, “Water On Glass” and “Chequered Love”. And some of the album cuts on the debut are good…OK, I’ll just go ahead and say that I really like her debut LP / CD.

The honeymoon was short, but sweet – at the time, I continued buying her 45’s, but didn’t really go for the 2nd or 3rd albums. I have all her RAK / EMI albums now, but, I’ve bought them recently. I wish I could find a British LP of her debut album. At least I have a proper CD of it! When are the Japanese going to make little paper album cover CD’s of her EMI albums?

RAK RecordsMickie Most; Donovan; Chris Spedding; Suzi Quatro etc. A very good place for a British female pop singer to be in 1981.

The video age (the mid-80’s) was kind to our Kim – there are lots of videos that were shown on MTV and MuchMusic for her MCA singles, but I had no real use for anybody’s cover version of “You Keep Me Hanging On” etc.

So, the verdict – get the debut album. Great stuff – pure British Girl Pop, circa ’81.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good gawd, I remember she had the UK press eating out of her hand! Post modern intellectuals who should gave known better were acting like schoolboys with a crush. Why? Uh, that she sort of looked like Brigitte Bardot seems to have been the alpha and omega there. I have heard several of her singles [on videos] from the first few years and only "Chequered Love" had any staying power at all with me. A not bad single in spite of her nasal whine. The rest? Feh!

And Ron, Sheena sucked wind too!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

I agree - I never had any use for Sheena Easton - even when she turned into Prince.

Jim, get the 1st Kim Wilde album! It's pretty good - class of '81.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home