The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Bialetti Moka Express

Coffee is a part of my existence that I greatly enjoy. Recently, I have purchased new 6 and 9 cup Bialetti Moka Express coffee makers. Each day, Monday - Friday, I drink an entire 6 cup pot of espresso coffee made by one of these machines. On Saturday & Sunday, I make a 9 cup pot of coffee and share it with my GF. I first had espresso in Venice, Italy in 1985. Aldo Tagliapietra of Le Orme took me to a hardware store in Venice, Italy and helped me buy my first Bialetti Moka Express. When I returned to Los Angeles with my espresso maker, I had to find where to buy the coffee beans - as very few places had 'french roast' coffee. I used to travel a fair distance to get the beans, and it seems like it took me ages to drink a 1/2 bag of coffee. These days, I drink a lot of espresso - and it's readily available. Sadly, the Bialetti coffee makers do not last forever; I recently had a handle break (the metal part inside), rendering a 2005 9 cup machine un-usable. Now I have 2007 machines in both 6 and 9 cup versions. I also have 1, 3 and 12 cup versions of the Bialetti Moka Express, but I've had 'em all a while. Sometimes, I even take my 12 cup coffee maker to work and make lattes for my co-workers. The people I work with these days like my coffees. I used to work with someone who thought I was trying to poison her with my "strong coffee".

So, you may know me as a "music guy" - but rest assured - I am a coffee guy, too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Coffee Club

Here's a major area where we differ, Ron. I really hate coffee. In fact, the nauseating smell of coffee brewing is disgusting me at work as I type these words. In fact, I go so far as to hate chocolate as well as coffee, since the smell and taste of chocolate strikes me as being way too close to coffee for comfort. I only enjoy white chocolate, which as far as I'm concerned, isn't chocolate at all.

I am a vanillaholic. Now THERE'S a bean I can get behind 100%!

Here's another unpleasant association I have with coffee. It reminds me of my mother, who loved coffee and cigarettes more than her family. My mom would rise at 5 AM and go out on the porch, where she was permitted to smoke, to begin her smoking/coffee drinking day like some sad junkie.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

Alas, Jim D. - my mom likes her coffee and cigs too. Can't do the cigs, but I've done espresso almost daily for 27+ years. I do not do a lot of sugar, either - so I do not eat much chocolate anymore; only ever dark, semi-sweet or bittersweet.

I also understand you do not drink alcohol; I drank a lot until I was 30. Only sporadically since then for me. I do plan on drinking beer at Ron-Kon, so I hope you are not offended. Likely, I will drink my coffee in solitude (at Extracto).

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home