The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Friday, November 30, 2007

Playlist


11-30-07 Playlist

Since starting on my “Cassette Project” – one thing I haven’t been doing is generating a lot of playlists lately. The other night, I set out to make one super good side of a C-100 high bias Maxell XL-II-S cassette (but editing it on an MD). The program is something like 49:30, so it should fit with ease. All tracks (except Fay L.) from original vinyl. (not the cassette pictured)

ROBERT FRIPP – Breathless (from “Exposure”)

DAVID BOWIE – The Secret Life of Arabia (from “Heroes”)

PETER GABRIEL – Exposure (from “Peter Gabriel II”)

XTC – Super-Tuff (from “Go 2”)

ROBERT FRIPP / THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN – Inductive Resonance (from “The League of Gentlemen”)

BARRY ANDREWS – Mousetrap (single)

THE STRANGLERS – The Meninblack (Waiting for ‘em) (single)

GANG OF FOUR – Cheeseburger (Live) (from “Another Day, Another Dollar”)

BLANCMANGE – The Day Before You Came (single)

THE NITS – Nescio (from “Omsk”)

DALEK I – Eight Track (from “Cum-pass”)

JANSEN & BARBIERI – Mission (from “Worlds In A Small Room”)

FAY LOVSKYMakassar (from “Jopo In Mono”)

With the exception of the Fay Lovsky track, I tried to pick cuts that I either never used or hadn’t used in ages – for a “Various Artist” tape/MD. I frequently use “Makassar” to add 1:17 to anything.

I recently got the 2CD of “Exposure” by Robert Fripp – hence some of that turning up here – I will write about Mr. Fripp early in 2008. Mr. Fripp is the guitarist on the David Bowie cut, and he produced the Peter Gabriel cut. Barry Andrews was XTC’s keyboard player on their first two albums – and he also worked as a solo act and for Mr. Fripp.

The cassette side was dubbed in real time – alas, with “auto record level”; Dolby C.

It's raining!


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eerie!

With the exception of the Barry Andrews single and the late model Fay Lovsky, I have everything on this tape! And I have virtually every Barry Andrews release from 1977-1987 with the exception of his 2 [?] solo 7"ers. Barry is a unique individual in that he has been a sideman to both Fripp [League Of Gentlemen] AND Eno [Another Day On Earth]! Surely a club of one?

As for Fay, Ron set me up with her first 4 records but I have not seen anything past that. No CDs and this should be rectified as Fay makes charming and compelling music.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Rain

Y'know, I've heard it never rains in California...

9:53 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

Jim-san,

For Barry Andrews as a solo artist, I have:
ROSSMORE ROAD / PAGES OF MY LOVE VIRGIN UK VS 428
ROSSMORE ROAD / WIN A NIGHT OUT… VIRGIN UK VS 378
TOWN AND COUNTRY VIRGIN UK VS 260

- RK

9:36 PM  
Blogger chas_m said...

What is there to say but ... awesome playlist!!

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home