The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Thursday, March 29, 2007

1971.06.21

Phonolog Reports – New Releases

Week of June 21, 1971

Caught my eye:

VARIOUS ARTISTS – Motown Chartbusters Vol. 4 (Motown 732)

Not much in the way of major LP releases this week. I have other volumes in the Motown Chartbusters series – but not this one. I bet it’s pretty good.

Also of interest:

HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS – Summertime (A&M SP-4314) (LP)
MARVIN GAYE – What’s Going On (Tamla 310)
THE RAIDERS – Indian Reservation (Columbia C 30768)
SKILLET & LEROY – Dynamite (Laff 151)

My parents had given up on Herb Alpert by this time – the TJB time had passed. Notable soul release from Marvin Gaye; social conscience material from The Raiders and smutty humor from Skillet & Leroy (so that’s when this came out!)

Notable singles:

BEE GEES – How Can You Men A Broken Heart? (Atco 6824)
BOB DYLAN – Watching The River Flow b/w Spanish Is The Loving Tongue (Columbia 4-45409)
IAN MATTHEWS – Hearts b/w If You Saw Thro’ My Eyes (Vertigo 101)
TOMMY NORTHCOTT – Suzanne b/w Spaceship Races (Uni 5288)
ROLLING STONES
– Wild Horses b/w Sway (Rolling Stones 19101)

Decent AM radio hits from the Bee Gees, Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones (a “Sticky Fingers” 45!). I liked the Ian Matthews LP (and this is the debut US Vertigo 45!), and I remember when Tommy Northcott was signed to Warner Brothers, making ‘soft rock’ – this must be a cover of the Leonard Cohen song!


Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Bee Gees

I loved that single. From "Trafalgar," wasn't it? I found out about album releases from record club ads in TV Guide as a youth of 8-10. I liked the Bee Gees okay enough until "Jive Talking." I didn't understand their morph into r&b, then disco. I can't think of a Bee Gees song I liked again until the excellent "You Win Again." some years later. At least they had the class to disband when a member died, Pete Townshend!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

Yes, Jim-san - a good Bee Gees A-side. Their next singles, "My World" and "Run To Me" were OK too. After "Alive" (12/72) they took a break from the charts until "Jive Talkin'" (6/75) - also a change of labels.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home