The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

1971.06.14



Phonolog Reports – New Releases
Week of June 14, 1971

Caught my eye:

LONG JOHN BALDRY – It Ain’t Easy (Warner WS 1921) (LP)
IAN MATTHEWS – If You Saw Thro’ My Eyes (Vertigo VEL-102) (LP/CD)
JONI MITCHELL – Blue (Reprise 2038) (LP)
ROD STEWART – Every Picture Tells A Story (Mercury SRM-1-609) (LP)
IKE & TINA TURNER – What You Hear Is What You Get (U.A. UAS 953 double live album) (LP)

I remember buying Rod Stewart at Thrifty Drug Store (on sale). I found the Ian Matthews LP in a hippie record store downtown (I wanted it because it was on Vertigo). I spent my birthday money (I was 13) on the Ike & Tina Turner LP – and I don’t think my parents ‘approved’ (maybe a little ‘too wild’ for their tastes).

Also of interest:

THE BUOYS – Timothy (Scepter 593)
HAMZA EL DIN – Oud Music From Nubia (Nonesuch H-72041)
BLUE MITCHELL (Mainstream 315)
DONNY OSMOND – The Donny Osmond Album (MGM SE-4782)
JACK WILD – Everything’s Coming Up Roses (Buddah 5083)

Kiddie music from Jack Wilde (I saw a copy of the JW LP @ Amoeba Hollywood up on the wall for $25 last weekend!) and Donny Osmond; cannibalism song from The Buoys; Hamza El Din had been on the “You Are What You Eat” original soundtrack LP, so I knew who he was that way; Blue Mitchell is early 70’s groove-funk jazz that I eventually heard on a sampler CD.

Notable singles:

JACKIE LOMAXSour Milk Sea b/w Fall Inside Your Eyes (Apple 1834)
CAT STEVENS – Moonshadow b/w I Think I See The Light (A&M 1265)

I date the Lomax single to considerably before 1971 (I have Fall Inside Your Eyes” as an A-Side, b/w “How The Web Was Woven” – so…is it a re-issue or something – or are they wrong about “Sour Milk Sea” being it’s A/B side? (Photo pinched some time ago, Jackie & george - no, I don't have THIS 45!) Decent AM radio hit single for Cat Stevens.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home