The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Smash Hits, May 1980


9-17-08 Smash Hits – May 15 – 28, 1980


I was buying “Smash Hits” magazine from England in the early 80’s rather a lot, $1.50 per issue. It seemed to focus on the style of new wave music that I was interested in – and it had color photos, unlike Melody Maker or the N.M.E. I kept quite a stack of these magazines. Today I will generate a Playlist from the issue from May 15 – 28, 1980; Vol. 2 #10.


In no particular order:


NEW MUSIK – This World of Water

DEVO – Girl U Want

ELVIS COSTELLO – Crawling To The U.S.A.

ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK – Messages

ROXY MUSIC – Over You

DELTA 5 – Anticipation

SPIZZ ENERGI – Where’s Captain Kirk?

ROBERT WYATT – Arauco

BLONDIE – Call Me

MOTORS – That’s What John Said

SQUEEZE – Pulling Muscles From A Shell

MONOCHROME SET – Strange Boutique

HUMAN LEAGUE – WXJL Tonight

MAGAZINE – Song From Under The Floorboards

GARY NUMAN – We Are Glass

MOTORHEAD – Leaving Here (Live, “Golden Years” EP)


These are the songs I spotted while leafing through this issue. I might have to ask my GF for the Elvis Costello track to make this ‘mix tape” from May, 1980. I think I have everything else here – certainly on vinyl, if not on CD! I think I actually bought the New Musik, O.M.D., Spizz Energi, Robert Wyatt, Human League, Magazine and Gary Numan as new releases!


Another issue of Smash Hits appears tomorrow!


Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mother McCrea - that was a heady time!!!!

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had known then what I know now, I would have taken a LOT more notes then!! The UK post-punk era was 3-5 years of more sonic delights than I could begin to cram into my life to the point of where I have spent the last 20 years playing catch up! Smash Hits was a teenpop magazine and I was in my 20s when I first saw it but it was really weird seeing all of the acts I loved best given this level of exposure. Bound editions of 1980-83? I wouldn't turn 'em down! During that time, I only bought the far more serious Trouser Press but Smash Hits still get two thumbs up from Jim.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

I have about 2 complete years of this magazine, roughly '80 to '82 (then I got so involved with New Zealand - another story).

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home