The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Friday, September 12, 2008

RK 50: XL Capris / Scribble



9-12-08 RK 50: XL Capris / Scribble


Can you believe I found another “X” artist to write about?

Johanna Piggot, from Australia. Two XL Capris LP’s, two Scribble LP’s – is none of this fine artist’s work on CD???


XL Capris:

LP WHERE IS HANK? STUNN NZ STUNN 015

1981 15 TRKS 1st album

LP WEEDS AXLE AUS AXLE 104

1981 13 TRKS 2nd album

Scribble:

7" SILLY GIRL / MR. CALICO REGULAR AUS RRSP 729

1983 2 TRKS with pic sleeve

LP SO FAR REGULAR AUS L 38450

1985 10 TRKS 1st album

LP POP ART REGULAR AUS L 38549

1986 10 TRKS 2nd album

7" ALLIGATOR / LAWS OF MOTION REGULAR AUS K 158

1986 2 TRKS with pic sleeve


So, looks like only about 48 tracks in total…and Johanna Piggot is the co-writer of “Rain”, the hit single by Dragon, the NZ band that re-located to Australia. I also remember her name on an Australian TV series, “Sweet and Sour” – I think I kept a soundtrack LP of that series (on ABC records). Looks like she’s gone into screenwriting (“The Girl Who Came Late” and “Broken English”, which is an NZ film – and I think I have the soundtrack CD of it!). Somewhat unbelievably, Piggot co-wrote the debut single by Keith Urban (!), “Only You” in 1990 – so we can add ‘professional songwriter’ to her resume).


I went to NZ seven times in the 1980’s, and Australia once (in ’87). I got the XL Capris records in NZ – and I bought them because the covers looked good. I got the Scribble LP’s in Australia, because I had liked the XL Capris LP’s – and because the Scribble LP’s looked good as well.


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got into Scribble when I chanced to see a video for "Kaze" on MTV's International Hour. Great song, I thought! I have the Pop Art LP but nothing else.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home