The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Monday, October 06, 2008

Martin Mull


10-6-08 Martin Mull


7" BERNIE DON'T DISCO ELEKTRA US E-46057

1979 3 TRKS no pic sleeve

LP DAYS OF WINE AND NEUROSES CAPRICORN US CP 0155

1975 11 TRKS

LP I'M EVERYONE I'VE EVER LOVED ABC US AB-997

1977 11 TRKS

LP MARTIN MULL CAPRICORN US CP 0106

1972 11 TRKS debut, promo

LP MARTIN MULL AND HIS FABULOUS FURNITURE CAPRICORN US CP 0117

1973 20 TRKS

LP NO HITS, FOUR ERRORS CAPRICORN US CP 0195

1977 12 TRK Collection

LP NORMAL CAPRICORN US CP 0126

1974 13 TRKS

CD PERFECT COLLECTABLES US COL-CD-7909

1979 12 TRKS Live ('08 issue)

LP PERFECT ELEKTRA US 6E-200

1979 10 TRKS Live

LP SEX & VIOLINS ABC US AA-1064

1978 11 TRKS


On the vinyl front, looks like Mr. Mull was active 1972 – 1979. In fact, I was lucky enough to have been invited to attend one of the recording sessions for the ’79 album, “Perfect”! I was working at a record distributor at the time – and I’m sure somebody must’ve said, “Who likes Martin Mull?”…and I was probably the only one who answered. I remember that it was neat going into a big recording studio – and that it was funny – but ’79 is a long while ago, folks!


Of course, Mr. Mull’s forte is comedy acting. Did you ever have the chance to see his “The History of White People in America”? Where’s the DVD of that?


He was a writer / performer for “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman” (Barth Gimble), he reprised his Barth Gimble role on “Fernwood 2 Night”. He was in the “Clue” movie (at least we get the different endings on the DVD). I believe he had a cable TV special “Martin Mull Live From North Ridgeville, Ohio” (1988). The follow-up to “The History of White People in America” was “Portrait of a White Marriage”. And a ton of TV – “Roseanne”, even. I could put up with almost anything Martin Mull was ever in – as long as Fred Willard was nearby! (Or Harry Shearer!)


As a record collector that values comedy and spoken word records, I wish Mr. Mull had continued making records, into the 80’s (and beyond). I’m sure they would’ve been interesting and amusing. But if it doesn’t come out on DVD, I’m afraid we’re stuck watching VHS & beta tapes of his best work…ugh…


Thanks for the brain entertainment, Mr. Mull. When is Laugh.com going to put out the rest of your albums on CD? As far as I am concerned, it’s nothing short of a miracle that there is a CD of “Perfect” (on Collectables).



Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, so "Perfect/Near Perfect" was recorded live with audience, in a studio? That's different. I have much respect for Mr. Mull's brand of wit. P/NP is a classic with the Bun & Run jingles and my personal fave, "The Fruit Song!" The latter has my favorite rhyming verse in the English language within - "If You drink & drive you lose, so give me figs & cherries! Hard drivin' boys & booze ain't near as good as boysenberries!"

Magic!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

To heck with dinner, have some fun!

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a separate note, I can't shake the feeling that the Bun N' Run jingles were a big influence on "Rat In The Box" by FST.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home