The Ron Kane Files

Writing About Music

Monday, February 18, 2008

Peel Sessions


2-18-08 Peel Sessions

So, I did my “Top 200” and “Important CD Single / EP” lists – and I recognized that the “Peel Sessions” CD’s & 12” singles are an important part of my collection. Artists that I like, with material usually unavailable elsewhere. Sometimes “Peel Sessions” material turns up on bootlegs or artists’ collection albums, but here are the actual “Peel Sessions” titles that I own and love.

CD5 BARRETT, SYD PEEL SESSIONS, THE STRANGE FR UK SFPSCD 043 1988 5 TRK CD EP CD5 incl. the song “Two Of A Kind”

CD5 BIRTHDAY PARTY PEEL SESSIONS, THE STRANGE FR UK SFPSCD 020 1988 4 TRK CD Single CD5

CD5 CURE, THE PEEL SESSIONS, THE DUTCH EAST US DEI 8341.2 1988 4 TRK CD Single CD5 ('78 recording)

12" CUTLER, IVOR PEEL SESSIONS, THE STRANGE FR UK SFPS 068 1989 11 TRK EP; with pic sleeve

CD GANG OF FOUR PEEL SESSIONS ALBUM, THE STRANGE FR UK SFRCD 107 1990 11 TRK Collection

CD5 SLITS, THE PEEL SESSIONS, THE STRANGE FR UK SFPMACD 207 1989 7 TRK CD EP CD5

12" SPIZZ / SPIZZOIL PEEL SESSIONS, THE STRANGE FR UK SFPS 022 1987 4 TRKS '78 recordings, with pic sleeve

12" STUMP PEEL SESSIONS, THE STRANGE FR UK SFPS 019 1987 4 TRKS with pic sleeve ('86 recording)

CD5 ULTRAVOX PEEL SESSIONS, THE DUTCH EAST US DEI 8309.2 1987 3 TRK CD Single CD5 (70's recordings) with John Foxx

CD5 WYATT, ROBERT PEEL SESSIONS, THE STRANGE FR UK SFPSCD 037 1989 4 TRK CD Single CD5 9070’s recordings)

I believe there is material of this nature on albums / CD’s by Magazine, XTC, Wire, and The Jimi Hendrix Experience and loads of other artists. I’m so glad the BBC saw fit to record all these outstanding artists!

Also amazingly useful is “1 AND ONLY – 25 YEARS OF BBC RADIO 1”, BAND OF JOY UK, BOJCD 25, CDx2, 1992 36 TRK Compilation, 60's / 70's / 80’s recordings – fabulous stuff, with The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, The Yardbirds etc.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's hear it for the BBC and exclusive sessions! I have some of these and my mind boggles at how the Ultravox! sessions found life on CD - but ONLY in America! And the disc was GLOW-IN-THE-DARK! The only one in my collection. Cafe Wha...??

My only gripe was the Systems era picture on the cover (and longbox!) that featured the 1978 Robin Simon lineup of the band instead of the 1977 Stevie Shears lineup that actually recorded the session.

I used to have the Cure sessions but I flipped it for cash. I don't feel the need to be a Cure collector, though I admire the group.

My favorite of the sessions listed are the Slits sessions! Captured before they got infected with the reggae disease.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Ron Kane said...

All very useful stuff, Jim-san...

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home